Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny upgrade

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by justwhatido, May 30, 2004.

1. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

Is there a 4 speed factory transmission that will swap with a 3 speer auto in my 73 k-5? /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Is there a 4 speed factory transmission that will swap with a 3 speer auto in my 73 k-5? /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Um, I'm kind of confused on what you are asking. Are you wanting to swap IN a 4 spd IN PLACE of a 3 spd auto or is it the other way around? Do you want an auto or manual? What do you have currently? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Sounds like he wants a 700r. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

Sorry, I want a 4speed auto. See guys, not alot of rock crawlin gonna happen in lower Alabama. Some muddin, boat pullin, going to the beach, or picnics. I'll be using this as a daily driver and think that a 4 speed automatic will give better gas mileage than the originally 3 speed auto. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

5. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

You can use one of the early non-computer shifted 700R4's. There's a company out there that makes a manual control for the lock up torque converter.... can't think of the name right now. Hang on, headed to google cuz I'm at work and bored stiff. OK, TCI was the company I was thinking of (www.tciauto.com) but google brought up a few others. Looks like there is also the option of using a non-lock up converter with the 700R4. Not sure what t-case you have, so adapting into that might be a challenge. Rich

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like you want a Th700R4. You can use a th700 out of any year, only the 4l60E's were computer controlled. The only thing computer controlled on them is the converter lockup, which my carbed 85' had. IIRC when I had my 700 built up I could have ordered a non lock up aftermarket converter for it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

The lock wiring up for a 700-R4 can be made by any body. It is a very simple process.

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

actually you don't need any wiring for the lockup converter, all you do is put a 5/16" checkball in the end of the lockup soleniod and it will lockup just fine. the only thing about it is after many many miles, the plastic plunger wears out and no longer lockups, the fix for that is a metal plunger to replace the plastic one and costs like $20