Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Vent Hole- Where are they?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Besides the dipstick, is there another vent hole? I do a lot of water crossing, and my fluid is clean still... I have heard of a vent hole somewhere above the tranny, but I am having problems locating it. Anyone got a picture of a 700R4 they can show me?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> IIRC there is a hole inside the bellhousing, just above the input shaft. A buddy of mine sucked water through that hole in Hollister and roasted his tranny. There may be another hole too, but I don't know where it's at. </font color>

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

On a 700R4 there's a small plastic tube sticking out of a hole on top that's about 9 inches back from the bellhousing flange, about 1 inch right of the centerline. That's the tranny vent.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Ok cool... so now, HOW DO I SEAL THIS SUCKER!?!?!

Water in tranny=no good.

5. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    On a 700R4 there's a small plastic tube sticking out of a hole on top that's about 9 inches back from the bellhousing flange, about 1 inch right of the centerline. That's the tranny vent.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Same thing on a TH350.

6. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I don't think you would want to seal it..Extend it up higher...

7. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

I don't see it on my TH350.

8. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

No, you really don't want to seal it. I had a 700R4 sitting on the garage floor with the vent line capped. Every time I looked at it I said, I gotta remember to take that off when it gets installed. Must have said that to myself 100 times. Guess what I didn't do. So I fill the tranny after the install and it takes FOREVER, but I think nothing of it. Drive down to the trans shop because they're going to flush it and install new hard lines to my tranny cooler (I used rubber transmission hose similar to what you'd plumb an aftermarket cooler with to get it there). They do the work, replace the lines and then go to fill the transmission with one of those pressurized 'guns' like they use at Jiffy lube for the house oil. I guess the neck of those things have some sort of seal because he's pumping in the fluid until he moves a little bit, breaking the seal and transmission fluid erupts from the dipstick tube all over the inside of the engine compartment from the built up pressure. What a mess, the underside of my hood still has stains on it. THAT's when I remembered the vent cap. I have one of the locking dipstick tubes, so I'm glad I wasn't driving around like that. (of course it probably just would have pushed off the little rubber cap, but I'm still glad I found out in the shop and not on the road)

CT

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Guess I'll have to find out what size it is exactly so I can go buy a hose! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

what about the one in the bell housing? Am I just SOL?

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You can pry the plastic tube out of the hole. It's just a press fit. Then screw in a threaded hose barb fitting. I think it takes a 1/4-inch thread. Then you can slip the vent tubing over the hose barb. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif