Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny vent

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Calclips, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I just installed a new tranny in my truck, so I want to run the vent up into the cab. What type of fitting do I need to screw into that hole up on the top of the bellhousing?

P.S. That hole on the top is the vent.... right?

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Don't know what kind fitting to use when there's just a hole but yes that hole is the vent, some tranny's have a short metal tube, and some just have a hole...

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep, some have just a hole and some have a metal tube sticking out... With the metal tube you could just hoseclamp a hose onto it... If you don't have it i'd look for one of those metal tube's coming out of the vent on other trannys in the junkyard and pull one...
    Also to make sure that IS indeed the vent and it is working... have someone blow compressed air down the dipstick tube while your under the truck with your hand right next to that hole.... that should be the only place the tranny will vent and blow air out of. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    (unless yours vents outta the dipstick tube. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif)

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

neither the tranny that was in it before, or the one that I pulled from a van to put in it had the metal tube on it. How do I know if it vents through the dipstick? The truck is an 82, but the th350 that I put in it came from an 84 1/2 ton van.

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Like i said, have someone blow air down the dipstick tube. air should come out of that vent hole. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I can tell you some stories about the tranny venting through the dip stick tube! Lets just say it involves headers and some flames /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I tried to see if my truck would make a good boat. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It didn't /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif The tranny got filled with water and mud. I drained the fluid and put in some fresh and thought it would be good. Well it seams that the vent (that was open to let the water in) was now cloged. When the tranny got warm (hot?) it spit tranny fluid out of the dip stick tube (remember the end of the tube is under fluid) right onto my headers. It was all a great show /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

When I rebuilt my tranny I tapped that vent hole out to 1/8" NPT and put in a brass barb fitting. I never could get that metal vent to stick in with a hose on the end of it bu just pressing it in. I ran that line up to a high spot on the firewall and put a small K&N type filter on it from the ricer section at the parts store. I also have a "T" in there so I could hook up the front axle to that breather as well. My next project is a vent on the T-case and roll-over check-valves on all the lines.

Edit:
    I also just put in a Van dip-stick tube. One of the best mod's I have made yet! I can check the fluid while still standing on the ground! Also if any fluid should come out of the dip-stick again it won't be anywhere near the headers.

7. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Does the van dipstick work good? I still have the one out of that van... and because my transmission tunnel unbolts replacing it won't be that bad...

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

It wasn't that easy to get in there. My tranny tunnel un-bolts as well. I had firewall clearance but you might have more room on a 2nd gen. I had to bend it a bit to get it to go in (with my custom over the thigh bender /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). I also didn't really have anywhere good to mount the 2nd hold down to...it is zip-tied to the AC bracket for now (that bracket is going away to put a york in its place). It is the 1st tab that holds it in the tranny (with a bell housing bolt) so I am not worried.

Edit:
    Oh...the only hard thing about checking the fluid now is that the dip stick is like 5 feet long!