Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny wont shift into 1 or 2

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fireinthehole, Mar 27, 2002.

When I pull my shifter down into 1 or 2 (th700) it wont stay. I changed out my body bushings a few months ago and I wonder if I could have messed up the TV cable. Any ideas? The tranny shifts fine. I just noticed that my shift indicator in the dash and adjusted that.
    This is on my 90 Suburban.
    Thanks

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Its probably your linkage than TV cable. The cable just controls when the shift occurs. Is it just the shifter popping out of the transmission itself wont stay in gear? A quick check of the geometry and grease should get you rolling. The bushings probably sit a little taller than the stock and that is what is messing things up.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You might check the linkage. My linkage won't shift into 1 or 2 when my truck is cold, because it hits my exhaust pipe.(true duals) It sounds like something in the linkage more then the TV cable. Have some one shift threw the gears while you are under the truck where you can see the linkage. For safety make sure the truck is off, the tcase in neutral, and block the wheels.

3. The shifter is just popping out of gear. I will check the linkage. I had to really jack up the side of My Sub to change the body bushings, so that probably moved the linkage a bit.