Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny work

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigJim85, Dec 8, 2000.

1. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

If you read my post earlier this week, you know my tranny crapped out on me thursday. Now I have to pull it to make room for a new one. I'm just wondering about how hard it is, and I'm just looking for any tricks, any problems and just some help from some of you guys who've done this. It's a 700r4 mated to a 305.
    Thanks guys

<font color=red>If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.</font color=red>

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Ist step, go out and rent/buy/borrow/get a transmission jack. Unbolt the tcase shifter, unhhok all the selector linkage and other BS. Drop your drivelines(chock your wheels) Unbolt the tranny and take the t-case and tranny out together. A little balancing act and rope help. Depending on your blazer you may have to jack it up to get it out from under the body. It took my 10 yr old kid and I about two hours to get it out. Good luck!

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

3. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

Don't forget to unbolt the torque converter or else it will get messy remove the starter to get to the bolts and rotate the crankshaft around to get to the other t.c. bolts. Just take your time and pay attenion and you will get it.

[​IMG] SMP