Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny, xfer case problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bscappell21, Mar 7, 2007.

1. bscappell21

bscappell21 Registered Member

So I Was At A Stop Light Tonight And Went To Turn And Heard A Big Bang And Then A Horrid Sound And Then No Power When I Stepped On The Gas, After A Friend Pulled Me To The Side Of Road I Noticed My Rear Drive Shaft On The Ground And The Yoke Sitting Next To It. There Was A Large Amount Of Tranny Fluid Comming Out Of The Yoke Input And So I Turned Off The Truck. Probably Not A Good Thing Ehh? Did I Blow Out My Xfer Case Seal Or What?? Any Advise, Why Would This Happen?

2. bscappell21

bscappell21 Registered Member

anyone, anything? it is just dead on the road right now, help!

3. 84zz4ss

84zz4ss 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm guessing you lost a u-joint. Take a ride back to the truck have a 20 oz coke on hte way. When you get there unbolt the shaft from the rear and toss it in the truck. Cut the top off the coke bottle you just emptied and duct tape it to the rear of the t-case. Lock the hubs and drive home in 4hi.

4. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you just lost the universal for the driveshaft. The seal and transfer case should be ok. Just buy a new universal and install it into the driveshaft and reinstall the driveshaft.

5. GruntHunter

GruntHunter 1/2 ton status

Transfer Case EXPLODED !

I had a similar experience today with my '87 K5. I was about to go through a shallow drainage ditch with slow running awater about 4" deep. I stopped and locked my manual hubs, then pulled it into 4WD. As soon as I touched the gas I heard a loud bang and stopped and then saw red fluuid flowing down the stream. I backed out of the water and heard a lot of clunking noise. I got to where I could look underneith and that's when I saw the front driveshaft broken off of the transfer case. I was hauling a trailer off into the woods to pick up some hunting stands. As soon as I saw what it was I checked the transmission fluid and it was still OK so I unlocked my hubs and took it out of 4WD and kept going. I pick up one of the stands and took it back out on the main road and drove it about 12 miles, unloaded and drove back. That's when I got a hold of my local mechanic and he told me I shouldn't drive it anymore because there would still be parts still spinning inside of the case but now without oil. I parked it and am now calling a tow truck to get it hauled to his shop.

Q: Could I have damaged my transmission if I had kept driving it? I haven't gotten a good look at it to see just what all is broken.:doah:

6. Bowcrazy

Bowcrazy Registered Member

This happened to me last summer.Be sure to check the yoke coming out of the t case.Mine busted.Also cracked the houseing around it.Like to have never found another one.Only problem I have now is the t case will slip out of 2 hi sometimes when I come to a hard stop.Not sure the problem with that.

7. GruntHunter

Well, it appears that I may have figured out what happened with my transfer case. 3 of the bolts were found lying down inside of the little skid plate under the U-Joint, and they looked to be clean with NO DAMAGE to them while the other one got sheared off. When the bolt sheared the coupling flung around and punched a big hole in the front of the case. We are awfully suspicious that someone tried to steel the driveshaft out of it and couldn't get all the bolts out. It's been 2 years since that driveshaft was replaced so this came up real sudden .... and I don't do rock climbing or anything abusive to it.

This is an '87 K5 with the stock 350 tbi and 700R4 OD tranmission in it. What is the best unit to put back in it? I figure I'm looking at an easy $1,000. It's already cost me $122.50 to get it hauled the 31 miles to my mechanic's place and this web site advertises a rebuilt case for $795 (with a good core) and I'll have shipping and then the R&R labor for my mechanic.

Anybody know anything about ' MONSTERTRANSMISSIONS'? ? ?, or
    http:///www.eatmyshift.com

http://racetransmissions.com/store/index.php/cPath/304_306?osCsid=f5b98731de6e75c196a2639a27b5dda0

http://www.racetransmissions.com

8. GruntHunter

Transfer Case damage and Why !!!

We got my xfer case pulled out today and are convinced that someone tried to steel my front drive shaft. I filed a claim with State Farm and they sent a claims adjusted out to look at it and he also acknowledged that it looked like a theft attempt.

The problem didn't show up until I locked my huba and pulled it back into 4WD and started to move and .... WHAM !!!! the coupling sheared the last remaining bolt and clobbered the transfer case and popped a hole in it.

Like my mechanic said ... " made like a chocolate Easter bunny ! "

Xfer_Case_01.jpg

Xfer_Case_Labeled_02.jpg

Xfer_Case_02.jpg