Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by newyorkk5, Jan 21, 2006.

1. newyorkk5

newyorkk5 Newbie

Where can I get a decent 700r4/4l60 for my 91 blazer. My first one went bad, now the second used one I got won't shift out of first after a couple thousand miles. The local tranny shop wants 1400.oo to rebuild it, I am not even sure wahts wrong with it. Some one said you can get them at autozone for 900 w/warranty? Are the heavy duty ones from the TCI worth it. I kind of want to stay away from getting to pricey to fix it...Any Ideas???

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

TCI makes a good product but you'll pay through the nose. Try Summit Racing or JEGS and see what they've got. Otherwise shop around and find someone you trust.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

IIRC, it's been a while, but the shift governor on these trannies are plastic and can strip for some reason. Take it to a good shop and have this checked out.

I am pretty sure it's the governor, but I'm not positive. However, I am sure that the tranny not shifting is usually directly connected to that plastic piece.

4. newyorkk5

newyorkk5 Newbie

Thanks...This gives me someplace to start..There are no direct signs of the tranny going bad, so i thought it might be something like that...It can be frustrating, I thought I was in the clear with this tranny....I wanted to get some other parts but don't want to buy them until I get the tranny issue cleared up.....