Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmyjames, Dec 26, 2001.

1. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Registered Member

I've got a 78, 4x4, 3/4 ton GMC pickup that I'm working on. Its got an automatic turbo 400 tranny the clutch packs are gone. I'm a college student with not a ton of cash. I went to a junk yard looking for one they did not have any but he said I was looking to spend around 300$ Is this a good price. I live in the South Eastern part of NH and travle to Boston MA on a regular basis does any body know any ware to check for a tranny. I know this is not a blazer question but your help and advice will help me lots.
    Thanks
    88 Jimmy rebult 350 stock hight and tires(not for long)

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

$300 isn't too bad of a price, though you could probably get a cheap rebuild done on yours for not much more than that. The only problem with trying to find one in a junkyard is that you have to get one from a 4WD application. It has a different output shaft than the 2WD's. JY's know this and charge accordingly.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

if at all possible I would spend the money having your tranny fixed, rather than buying a used one for $300. If yours still works it probably isn't damaged, probably just needs new clutches and steels, if you remove it yourself, and put it back in, you can save on the cost of the rebuild. you don't know what you're getting when you buy a junkyard transmission.

'95 Chevy Silverado 1500
    5.7 V8-NV4500- 3.73 rears
    See My Toys: http://community.webshots.com/user/wdb172454

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Yep JY trannies are like throwing money out the window at 60mph.
    I would remove it and take it in to a reliable rebuild shop.
    I paid $860 to have the TH400 redone in my 73, I could have gone to a few other places to get it done cheaper but their reputations were questionable.
    The place I went to is well known and been in business a long time.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>