Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88thunder, Aug 16, 2000.

1. 88thunder

88thunder Registered Member

i have an 88 k5 with a 350 tbi hooked up to the stock th700r tranny. sometimes when at low rpms or cruising speeds ( usually around 55 mph) the tranny seems to surge or jump from overdrive to drive. it almost seems like it cant decide which gear to be in. any help would be appreciated
    email- Crysler12@yahoo.com

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The first step is to always make sure that the tranny is full to the proper level with clean fluid

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

3. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

leave it in D at those speeds. save the OD for the highway....its better for the tranny that way.
    Kelboski

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Your tranny has a locking torque convertor. At moderate speeds with little throttle input it will 'lock-up', as soon as you accelerate a little it will unlock, this will give you the impression that it is going from drive to overdrive and back. You can confirm this by driving at a steady speed, and with your left foot lightly apply the brakes (just enough to turn the brake lights on) you should feel the convertor unlock. I had the 700R-4 in a S-10 Blazer[​IMG] and it used to do this all the time, I thought it was bloody annoying. HTH

Rene <font color=red> 81 K-20 Jimmy </font color=red>
    <font color=green>[​IMG]"God hates a coward"</font color=green>[​IMG]

5. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I dont know I am not a trans wizard but, I had a friends do the exact same thing we were on the highway and were driving and it was like we found the unattainable fine line where the trans couldnt decided which gear to stay in. Not to scare you but less than a 50 miles later we had to turn around and drive home in second because the 3rd gear syncros were shot(according to the trans guy we stopped at). I dont know I would go have someone look at it. Good luck.

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com