Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Redneck33, Jan 7, 2003.

1. K5Redneck33

K5Redneck33 Registered Member

ok, i have been havin some problems, i have a 77 k5 and it has a 350 in it. my tranny is a 350 turbo, anyhow; when i go around 40 it wont shift to a higher gear. it has no real problems shifting otherwise in lower gears. can anybody tell me why? has anyboyd else had this problem? thanks
    K5Redneck /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If it's not upshifting, it could be the vacuum modulator or the governor.
    If you don't know what these are ask for a description here.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. K5Redneck33

K5Redneck33 Registered Member

yea, thats what i was told, i replaced my modulator. still had the problem, so i reckon its the governor. isnt it in the back of the tranny?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No tranny guru, but I thought the governor controlled all upshifts. (by speed) If it does, don't see how the governor can be at fault.

What about the kickdown cable? On a Th350, if it is broken/stuck in "kickdown" mode, will it ever upshift to 3rd?

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

First off the governor is on the side, it's that big bowl shape cover. Under it you will find the governor.
    As for the governor controling all shifts, yes it does, but sometimes it is sticky and it works on some shifts and not on others.
    It's just a possibility.
    I still wouldn't rule out the vacuum, could be the vacuum lines getting to it not the actual canister.
    If the kickdown cable is broken it will not hold down a gear, it still will upshift. If someone pulled it too much it could hold a gear, that is a possibility, Thanks Dorian for pointing out something else.
    It might not be that , but it could be a possibility. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif