Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by firefighter184, May 27, 2003.

1. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

So, after much abuse (and fun) on Slaughterhouse this weekend, my tranny is acting funny. When I'm in drive, she winds up real high (4000RPM) and when she finally shifts into second, she makes a loud clunk you can feel. What the hell? Any ideas. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Check your vacume line for the trany on the back side of the motor.
    Noise maybe U-joint's trany mount broken
    Just a few ideas of the top of the head

3. firefighter184

Thanks homie

4. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Ya.....Interceptor is pointing you in the right direction. Check the vacuum line that runs from the vacuum modulator on the back of the tranny to either the intake or carb. When that line comes off, the tranny will take forever to shift....and when it does it is very harsh. Good Luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

the canister that the line hooks up to could also have given up the ghost. mine wasn't as bad as you described it when it went.

6. firefighter184

Yup, vacuum line it was. Nice easy fix, but I must remember not to try to hook it back up to the tranny when it's been running. Damn exhaust burned the H-E-double hockey sticks out of my arm /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Ever since I bought her, the Violator make a crazy loud clank shifting into reverse, but the other clanks and clunks I was getting during forwad gear shifts are gone. Ready for the trail...

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Spider gears sound like they're worn out. Things get a little too much play and you get that nice CLUNK when it has the torque from the tranny hit. Its not too hard to do. You have to take out your axle shafts and drop in the new gears. I'm just pulling that out of my butt, but if someone thinks this is right, I could explain better.