Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by bigwhitejimmy, Jun 3, 2003.

1. bigwhitejimmy

bigwhitejimmy Newbie

any help would be appreciated. seems as though the tranny on my 93 2500 went out. i know that you can count some bolts to find out what model it is exactly, but only thing i can read on it is hydromatic. is the 4 speed auto behind a 6.5 turbo. while taking off it made a "pop" sound and lost momentum. now just makes clicking sound while engine is running. doesn't move the truck at all. park doesn't even work. any ideas? thanks for any and all help in advance.

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It is probably a 4L80E. It should be rectangular with 2 corners rounded off. It will have 17 bolts on the pan. SOunds like trouble. Where are you located? Check on ebay and the web for cheaper rebuilt transmissions. Local guys will probably want close to $2000 for a rebuild with R&R. If you can R&R it yourself you can get a rebuilt ( with exchange) for around $1000 plus shipping. I have seen used trany's (drivers for 450-750 - no exchange).

3. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

I was told that that sound could be the front pump seal. The guy at the tranny shop said that it is common for that seal to go and it makes apop when it goes. Around here, a rebuild usually goes for around $1200.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    any help would be appreciated. seems as though the tranny on my 93 2500 went out. i know that you can count some bolts to find out what model it is exactly, but only thing i can read on it is hydromatic. is the 4 speed auto behind a 6.5 turbo. while taking off it made a "pop" sound and lost momentum. now just makes clicking sound while engine is running. doesn't move the truck at all. park doesn't even work. any ideas? thanks for any and all help in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well here is a long shot, but I thought park is a pin that goes and engages in a groove so it should work as long as the shifter can move it or it broke.
    Maybe the pop you heard was the shifter mechanism poping out and it's stuck in between neutral and park (clicking noise).
    Another thing that happened to me but on a th350 the 2 tabs on the pump, the ones that go in the grooves on the torque converter, broke off and the clicking was the small edge of the remaining piece trying to hook up but slipping off.
    That one I had to remove the tranny and replace the pump, wasn't too bad but I had rebuilt transmissions before so i knew what I was doing.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bigwhitejimmy

bigwhitejimmy Newbie

thanks for the inputs. I will check all the linkage and stuff tonight. I have called around and a complete rebuild for parts and labor is going to run about 1300. found a few rebuilt ones for 1400 with exchange. even the junk yard wanted 1000 for one. so i'm looking at just having it rebuilt. oh, and yes, it is the 4l80e. again, thanks for all the input. will keep you posted on what it was.