Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trannys and transfercases

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Calclips, Jun 2, 2002.

1. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I've been toying with the idea of converting my IFS to a solid axle in my 90 GMC 1/2 ton. This truck has a 700r4 in it with an NP241 that has the front output coming out on the drivers side. Will an NP241 from a K5 bolt up to the tranny without having to buy an adapter? When I go solid axle, I'd like to use a chevy D44 and was wondering what transfer cases I could use.

2. buick528

buick528 Registered Member

you could just use a furd dana 44.

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

or a Furd D60

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Availability on the Ford D44's and D60 front is probably similar to Chev, prices are about the same too. The advantage is the Ford diff's are high pinion for better driveline angles. If you go D44 you'll prolly need to swap to chevy outers to get the right 6 lug pattern.

I'd keep the 241 you have now...if you ever crack the case or need other parts they are more plentiful in the drivers side drop configuration. The 241 in the K5 and Sub was only produced for a few years (89-91) and production numbers weren't that high.

Rene