Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny's Sick

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigredblzr, Mar 24, 2004.

1. bigredblzr

bigredblzr 1/2 ton status

Tranny\'s Sick

I was driving home from school today and I was going up an incline (in OD) when all of a sudden my trany shifts back to 2nd gear. There was no noise, no, smell, no wierd vibration, nothing. It was like the tranny slipped into neutral. I got to the top of the hill and pulled over. I shifted the tranny into park and turned off the engine. Got out and checked out the undercarriage, and it had no exterior damage. Got back in turned on the truck, put it into OD and drove off. The Same thing happened again, as soon as 2nd gear hit about 3200 RPM, it felt like the tranny shifted into neutral. 1st and 2nd seem totally fine as do neutral, park and reverse. Anybody else ever have something like this happen? Any advice would be helpful.
    Oh yeah, it's from a 91 K5, 350 incase you're wondering.
    -Nate

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: Tranny\'s Sick

Time to rotate the tires and replace your 700R4.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

That is identical to what mine did, it's dead, replace it or get it rebuilt, nothing else you can do.

Sorry

4. bigredblzr

[ QUOTE ]
    Time to rotate the tires and replace your 700R4.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would rotating the tires do? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I just put'em on <1500mi ago.

[ QUOTE ]
    That is identical to what mine did, it's dead, replace it or get it rebuilt, nothing else you can do.

Sorry

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif! Are you guys serious? Is there anything I can do? Do you have an idea of what is specifically wrong? It has lasted me 181,000+ mi and has sentimental value /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. No, actually I have kinda been expecting something like this to happen. I have had a pretty gnarly slip between 1st and 2nd gear for wuite some time, but the wierd thing is that 1st and 2nd gear are totally fine. If it really is shot (I'll prolly find out tomorrow) What tranny should I replace it with? Another 700r4? A TH350?(would one swap in easily?)

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

If yours lasted 181k then consider yourself lucky, alot of people here are crying about the 700's being junk because they only get like 50-60k on them, i got 209k out of mine before it finally died.
    I was told the 3-4 clutches were shot, which would be the reason it doesn't want to go past 2nd. Mine went from 1st to 2nd just fine, but when it tried to go into 3rd it would just slip and sound like it went into neutral.

So yes, seriously, it most likely dead, about the only thing you can check out is the governor towards the rear on the drivers side, pop the cover off and see if the gear is still in good shape, i did that and mine was fine though.

I would personally either have it professionally rebuilt or replace it with a new 700 unit. You evidently don't beat yours to death, like mine, were able to make it last. So it should be fine for a rebuilt/reclutching.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

How much would it cost to rebuild that transfer case?

7. bigredblzr

Yeah, I took it to a shop today, since I have not had a chance to take a looksee myself, and the guy said it would be $1300 to rebuild it. The guy is totally a nice guy, but I'm not rich. So I'm just gonna swap the whole thing out. The only problem is that I've never done any serious tranny work. Is there anything I should lookout for in the swap? Will I need any special tools? Also, I am curious what tranny you guys think I should swap in. Should I just get another 700r4, or maybe a different tranny? I have heard that there are alot of Blazer guys with TH350s and I hear that those are beefier. Should I go with one of those? I'm running 3/4 ton axles with 36s and I'm planning on welding up the rear pretty soon in case it makes a difference. Thanks,
    -Nate

8. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

350's dont have OD

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Get another 700 and just take care of it.

Usually if you remove it yourself and take it in the cost drops to around $600-$800 or so.

I would check around, that price you mentioned sounds like a total cost for them to rebuild it and install it for you.

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

OH, and a tranny jack is extremely helpful, replace any seals you see might be leaking, like maybe the rear main on the engine if it's easy enough, like my one piece rear was, i also changed the input and rear output shaft seal on my t-case while it was off, mine was cracked in two places.
    Drain all fluid in both the trans and the t-case before you attempt to remove it, makes them "alittle" lighter.

Nothing that i can think of is really all that hard to do, just labor intensive. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. bigredblzr

[ QUOTE ]
    OH, and a tranny jack is extremely helpful,

[/ QUOTE ]
    You think 2 floor jacks will work well enough? How does the tranny swap copare to an axle swap (timewise)? Thanks for all the advice!/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

The tranny swap will take alot longer, it took me and a friend 2 days to do it, but we were not in a big rush, I swapped out the axles, each one of then in a day each by myself. As far as using two jacks, that might get alilttle weird, see if you can find one to borrow from someone, or even the adapter plate to put on your floor jack, trust me, it's alot easier.

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Drain all fluid in both the trans and the t-case before you attempt to remove it, makes them "alittle" lighter.

[/ QUOTE ]

But just remember to fill them back up after your finished /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

2 floor jacks can get tricky. i use only 1 jack. i usually pull the tranny/tcase together. then put themback in separate. ive done a tranny swap (out and in) in 6 hours.

15. bigredblzr

[ QUOTE ]
    2 floor jacks can get tricky. i use only 1 jack. i usually pull the tranny/tcase together. then put themback in separate. ive done a tranny swap (out and in) in 6 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many times have you pulled it (the tranny)? I find that the more times you swap things the faster you get at it.

16. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I actually found it to be easier to remove the t-case before the trans, that t-case is kind of an akward shape and would seem to throw off the weight balance of everything else. It really wasn't all that bad, just layed under it and pulled and caught it with the arms and chest, wasn't too comfortable, but it got the job done. Then i used the floor jack to lift it back up to reinstall it. That was fun.

17. bigredblzr

What do you guys think about swapping in a SM465? What are some pros and cons?

18. bigredblzr

19. bigredblzr

top /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

20. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

if you do the swap, go with a hydro clutch out of a 85 and newer truck. its not that bad of a swap. i would get a 465/205 vs the 465/208.

you will have to relocate the crossmember, new drive shafts, swap petals, columns if you want to look original, and the tranny tunnel for the stick.