Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trans and transfer case straps

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by yunit, Nov 22, 2001.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I just realized that one of my trans straps is missing and there is not one on my transfer case. Is this a bad thing? And how many should there be total? I had happen to look at a members ride and noticed one on the tcase. I have a 700/208 setup.

1987 Jimmy Sierra Classic, Palisades Park, NJ 07650

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm gonna go ahead and make myself look stupid by asking you what you mean by these "straps"? I'm at a loss here. Is it the straps for the u-joints on the driveshafts, or what?

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

duh your so dumb [​IMG],,,, OK what are they? [​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The "straps" he's referring to run from tranny to transfer and tranny to the motor mounts to keep the bellhousing from breaking.

There should be four of them. I only have my rear ones installed. The front ones I took off when I swapped the motor because I put the plates on upside down that bolt to the motor and they wouldn't bolt up right.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. thatK30guy

You mean the 'strut rod brace'? Its the long rod that bolts on the passenger side of the t-case and goes to the 2nd bolt up from the bottom bolt, passenger side on the tranny? There is only one strut rod brace on these set ups.

If its not the 'strut rod brace', I'm still at a loss here. How about a pic to show us what the "straps" are?

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I've got two of them, but they go from the tranny to the engine. Maybe I shoud double-check...

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

7. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Well I only have one on the tranny and none on the t-case. Should I hit a salvage yard and find them for my truck?

8. thatK30guy

Maybe you guys are talking about the rod braces UNDER the tranny and motor. The two rods that go from the tranny flywheel cover to the motor mount braces. I have those on my K30.

Anybody get a pic of these "straps" yet?

9. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

the brace that went from the side of the transfer case to the bel housing i took off long ago....when i had the t-case converted to fixed yoke the dodge case dident have bolt holes on it to be able to conect it back up..i would guess you would be fine with out it

<font color=green>Chaz</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chaz88k5>http://community.webshots.com/user/chaz88k5</a>

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yep, exactly what I was referring to.

I believe I have four of them. I'll have to look again. I know at one time, I had a set that ran to the motor mounts and flywheel cover, and those are gone now (as will be the auto trans soon).

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

11. thatK30guy

Tim, there are only two rods from the flywheel cover to the motor mount braces. And one rod from the side of the t-case to the bellhousing bolt to support the tranny/t-case.
    There are no "four straps" under the tranny. Just two. I have had quite a few of these set ups and there are only two rods. [​IMG]

12. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

how important is the starp from the bellhousing to tcase, I broke mine at the t-case bolt eye. It also seems, I dont remeber what it looked like, that the tcase now sits on the skitplate where before I think it was higher, or was that me? Any way so Do i need this ?

13. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

My '87 with 700/208 has one rod on the T-case that goes to either the trans or the bellhousing; I can't quite remember right now. The last time we had this conversation, someone said that these support rods for the T-case help support the case (Duh...) and keep some of the case's weight off the trans tailhousing. He also said he broke a trans tailhousing running without one of these struts after some rough wheeling. Can't remember who it was, though...

If it were my truck without one, I'd be scouring the yards looking for one. Good insurance, and it's not really in the way of anything if I recall correctly.

Ken

<font color=blue>America--Land of the Free, Home of the Brave<font color=black>

14. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Well I am going to hit a yard before I hit any major trails. Do not want to risk damaging anything this winter. Thanks fellas.

15. thatK30guy

I have spare rods here in the shed, but I need to know which one you are looking for.

16. 86K5TrailBlazer

i have a 700 to a 208, the tcase starp had two bolts holes
    trannyy--_
    ................. \
    .....................\___0_0 tcase
    ...........................^broken

17. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I need the one for the tcase and one for the passenger side tranny. Send me a pm and let me know how much you want and I will send out a money order. Thanks.

18. 86K5TrailBlazer