Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trans break in??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by greg mgm, Apr 6, 2005.

1. greg mgm

greg mgm 1/2 ton status

Ive been lurking around this site for a while, and I thought Id ask my first dumb questions! Im having the manual trans and transfer case rebuilt in my 78 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 Sierra Classic. They needed bearings, syncros, but no gears. Do I need to do any kind of break-in on it? Also, is the transfer case an all gear unit? These trucks must have been built well, considering they're the original units.

2. BIG STEVE

BIG STEVE Registered Member

Theres no sutch thing as break in for a gear box even if you had new gears the only thing i would do after a few hundred miles is change oil and thats being pretty anal thats more to flush any assembly greese or dirt intraduced during rebuild
    If your transfer case is alluminum its not a full gear case
    if its not dont worry gear cases are noisy heavy and very pricey
    i rebearing mine with a new chain last summer for half what 2 gears cost me 10 years ago in my 60 willys man that hurts to admit i had a jeep ok
    i had a 64 wagoneer also glad i got that of my chest :D

3. greg mgm

greg mgm 1/2 ton status

OK cool, after I get it back, Im good to go. Well, I wont hold the Jeep thing against you, just dont let it happen again. (ha) My friend has a jeep, but it rides so stiff that I cant ride in it..... OK, well I can, but I need back surgery after a day run. Thanks for the reply.