Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trans buildup opinions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kustom71, Nov 18, 2003.

1. kustom71

kustom71 1/2 ton status

hey i was just wondering if my truck comes out of the shop and every thing is ok with the trans(right now it doesnt shift right)what would be a couple of things you think i could do to try to improve durability and extend life.Its an 86 k5 w/700,350 tpi,stock 10bolts,32`s,3.08 gear.No much dough to change things like rears or gears.trans is stock now no shift kits or coolers.
    Thanx /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Well like you mentioned, a shift kit, a BIG cooler, and a deep pan all would help.

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Shift kits can be hard on a trany. Especially a 700R4. My Opinion is a large cooler, realy good Torq converter and a regualer maintenance.

4. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

I'm probably wrong but I was under the impression that shift kits made them live longer cause they don't allow as much slippage which produces less heat? Can the 700 just not handle the firmer shifts?

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

there are really only two hard parts that can break at any given time, the sun shell, and the rear planetary gear and they have upgrades for both. the shift kit save the clutches but can be harder on these other parts

6. kustom71

kustom71 1/2 ton status

thanx to all /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif