Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trans. Cooler installation info.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Alex, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Alex

Alex Registered Member

A while back I posted a question about which is the return line (on the radiator) to install a trans cooler. Well I hate to say this but some including my local dealer said it was lower fitting. It turns out that the correct return line on my 91 (700) is the upper. I also disconnected the upper line to see the oil flow and sure enough it came from the radiator. So if any of you are running a trans coolers you may want to recheck your lines. I was running a smaller cooler (with the return line installed incorrectly) and bought a larger B&M cooler with the correct instructions. Here some more info from the B&M instructions:

Trans type - Oil out of trans. - Oil return to trans.

TH-400 – lower - upper
    Powerglide – lower - upper
    TH-200 – lower - upper
    TH-200-4R – upper - lower
    TH-350 – upper - lower
    TH-700-R4 – lower - upper
    4L80E – upper - lower

2. Alex

Alex Registered Member

Jms, the information on the 700 is incorrect. The return line to the trans. is on the top. I am amazed how people in the business (not you Jms) can be so inaccurate (sorry, have to vent). I even asked a couple of transmission shops and they gave me incorrect information. Thank goodness for B&M and proper instructions.