Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trans cooler installation

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dunc03, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

I just bought a cooler for my 700r4 that I got from Bowtie Overdrive, but unfortunetly it didn't come with any instruction. I know that its not difficult to figure out how to actually attach it and run the lines. I'm not quite that stupid. My question is, which way do I run the lines to the cooler. The return line from the radiator is the top line, which I thought was kind of backwards. Do I run this line into the top or bottom of the trans cooler, I figure the top would be best because it wouldn't have to work against gravity, but then I realized that it would have to run uphill to the return line that is at the top of the radiator. What I means is if I run the "IN" line on the cooler to the top, then the hose that goes out from the cooler is on the bottom, and the fluid will have to flow uphill anyways to get back to the original return line. Any body done this before or know how it should hook up. Thanks for the help in advance

2. cryptobiotic

cryptobiotic Registered Member

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Top line from the tranny stays in the top hole of the radiator. Then put the adapter nipple in the bottom hole and run the rubber hose to the top line into the tranny cooler. Then take the bottom line from the tranny cooler and clamp it onto the bottom line going back into the tranny. The tranny uses a pump and not gravity to circulate the ATF so it dosent matter that the fluid has to travel "up hill" for a little ways.

At least thats what Hayden says....

4. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

Actually the cooler I got was from hayden. I guess they just forgot the instructions in mine. Did you actually do this install on a hayden, or just read in somewhere? If you saw it on line, I'd love to know the site so I could check it out. Thanks for the help

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Ill see if I kept the instructions and bet back to ya
    Brent

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Actually they want the oil to travel up so it takes time in the cooler to cool down, plus it makes for a full radiator because it will be overflowing back to the tranny.