Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trans. Cooler Set Up "Q"s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big jimmy 91, Mar 24, 2005.

1. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

I am going to put in a trans cooler for my 700R in my 91 jimmy
    What I have planned so far is to use a AC condenser from another truck
    What is the prefered method of plumbing in the cooler along with the original one from the rad.
    I am not sure how this is done?
    BTW I am a cheap ba***rd that would rather fab up my own stuff , rather than just go and purchase it. (I love a challenge:wink1: )

Thanks

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If you plan on using the stock rad along with the cooler ( as I have ) , then its a fitting into the rad , hose to the cooler , hose from cooler back into the line that USED to go into the rad where you put the fitting .

I used an after market cooler kit , some holes in the core support for my hose to run , with another larger hose over them for abrasion protection , and some flat stock with holes to make mount brackets :k5: :k5:

3. big jimmy 91

I plan to plumb it in so that the final loop is the fact. rad cooler is last to try and keep the temp up for proper operation (not over cool the fluid)

I am just wondering if this is the right method ?

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I see your are from the motherland.Useing an old A/C condensor may provide TOO much cooling,especially in the colder climates.

A trans does need to get UP to approx.180F to boil off any water/condensation that may have made it's way into the trans.

Useing the old A/C condensor would theoretically make that very hard.

Maybe if you ran the trans lines through the cooler 1st,then into the orig. rad. trans cooler it would be ok but again in the colder climates just the orig. rad. trans cooler should be sufficiant to cool/heat the trans.

Growing up in Manitoba we always ran into the external cooler 1st then through the rad cooler.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have been told NOT to use AC condensors as tranny coolers because there lines are 1/4" and cooler lines are 3/8" This creates a restriction in the line and increases pressure and makes the pump work harder. This can lead to premature pump failure which would lead to tranny failure.

Harley

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's WAY more cooling that you need in the Great White North. ;) Spend a few bucks on a tranny cooler and call it good. Can you buy Longs brand coolers up there? They're made in Canada and are what you'll find inside a B&M Transmission cooler box. :cool1:

Just be sure that you do NOT use the stupid though-the-radiator zip ties that come with the cooler. Vibration will cause them to saw through your radiator tubes. :mad: Mount it solid and plumb it in so that it is after the radiator tranny cooler.

7. big jimmy 91

I did'nt realize there was a difference in size , thanks for the heads up:waytogo:

8. big jimmy 91

Are you sure it should go after the factory cooler?

I thought it would be better before it , then it could re-heat the trans fluid a little if there was too much cooling (to try keeping it closer to optimum temp.)

Thanks for the tips , anything more for me to consider :thinking:

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, the aux cooler goes 2nd in the line. The other way would probably work slightly better in winter, but in the summer you want to cool the fluid after it's been through the hot radiator.