Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trans cooler ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1987Blazer, Feb 4, 2006.

1. 1987Blazer

1987Blazer 1/2 ton status

I really have no Idea what I'm doing.:eek1: I'm adding a trans cooler to my 87 blazer with a 700r4 trans and want to know should I mount it in front of the radiator? Also can I just unhook the lines that run to the radator? Or should I plug them up?
    Thanks
    Steve

2. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yes The Transcooler Mount In Front Of The Radiator. The Cooler Works In Conjunction With The Radiator, So You Need To Run A Line From The Radiator To The Cooler Then Back To The Transmission.

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    You should also try to be on the return line to the tranny.
    It will be the coolest line coming out of the radiator going back to the
    tranny. It will have less pressure and temp on it and will help cool it even if
    your motor starts to overheat. If you can, use a mounting bracket instead of the wire ties some companies give you that let you zip tie the cooler to the rad.
    Make sure you use a good quality hose and if you can, double up the clamps for saftey. If you can, also leave enough room for another cooler so if you decide latter to add a power stearing cooler, you'll have enough room for it.
    Zip tie the hose you run in a safe place without any sharp metal or tight turns.
    Mount the cooler, figure out where your going to run the lines and all that stuff BEFORE you cut or disconnect the return line from the radiator, just in case you run into problems.

4. 1987Blazer

1987Blazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info.

Which line is the return on the 700r4 the bottom or top? I'm thinking it is the bottom.
    thanks
    Steve

5. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

It's the bottom. Hot in the top, not so hot out the bottom.

6. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Recommend a trans temp. gauge also. Even with coolers (run both the new xternal cooler and the rad. tank cooler) it can still get too hot, and the 700R4 will not tolerate HOT. I can vouch for B&M gauge kit; works well, scale starts lower than others, and the sender integrates with their trans pan drain plug kit.:D