Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trans Cooler.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ecreipevad, Aug 4, 2001.

1. ecreipevad

ecreipevad Registered Member

I read some posts about Trans Coolers, everyone recommended putting one on. "700r4's hate heat." My question is Doesn't my '83 have one? Isn't that the lines that run into the Radiator on the passenger side? Should I consider a aftermarket one any way? Thanks

Chrome Won't Get You Home!!!!

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

3. ecreipevad

ecreipevad Registered Member

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Any recommendation for the one I'm going to buy in the morning. All this time I thought I was safe. Guess not.

Chrome Won't Get You Home!!!!

4. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

just put one on my 91 burb.... spent more time taking out the grill than installing it. Hayden '05', which was 'bigger' than they said would fit, but with a little fabrication and relocating 1 horn it went right in. I pull a 7K trailer and wanted the 'additional cooling' vs the '04' which was listed for up to 5000 lbs.
    Now it runs from tranny thru radiator thru cooler & back. Did a 4 row radiator about the same time and things are cooler all around! Cost: $80.00 over the counter @ local tranny shoppe.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Get a stacked plate design like the B&M. That's what I've got. I'm even adding an electric fan to it. Get the biggest one you can find. Mine is the 24,000 lb model and is mounted behind my grille.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I don't want to piss off the guys who run aluminum tube/fin style coolers(like Hayden), but the stacked plate design offers better cooling in a tougher package. After talking with a few different guys about their setups, I opted for a TruCool 22,000 GVW stacked plate cooler(made by Long Inc.).

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</a>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I know cool is good, but don't go nuts and buy the biggest one you can find (like an rv size)... if your tranny fluid doesn't heat up to the proper temp, you can lose prefromance and mess it up that way as well... a good balance in the middle is what you want... I'm gonna break down and buy one here too for my tranny (we have the same one). I'm thinking the 22,000 one is what I will be going with unless I can find a 24,000 one I like.... [​IMG]

C'mon captain break pedal... quit looking for the parade and drive!! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; MARK 1:17 &gt;&lt;&gt;

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The B&amp;M one is nice. As for opperating tempthis is what B&amp;M has to say about their cooler
    "B&amp;M's SuperCooler low pressure drop coolers reduce the risk of lube system failure. A controlled amount of ATF is allowed to bypass the stacked plate core, passing through a self-regulating orifice which monitors resistance to flow. Controlled by viscosity, the thicker ATF is returned directly to lube through two open bypass openings in the stacked plate core. As operating temperatures increase, more of the ATF flow is directed through the core. Resulting in a highly efficient cooling technology that combines improved protection against lube system failure with the required levels of optimal heat transfer. "
    Yes too cool is bad. The torque converter (on a 700r4) will not lock up till opperating temp is reached (although I think the computer uses engine temp I'm not sure). The cooler in the radiator will help heat the ATF when it is cold out but if you live where it gets REALLY COLD you can block off the cooler with a piece of cardboard in the winter or just disconect it in the winter.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Over cooling a trans is kinda tuff, but can be done, like on short trips or in cold weather. If the trans dosn't get up to temp (over 100 deg. F) then the water that has acumulated will not get boild out.

I like to run my trans coolers in reverse of the recomended flow. Meaning, from the trans, to the cooler, to the radiator, then back to the trans. It might not do a thing- I don't really know, But I kinda think it would help keep the trans fluid at a more consistant temp. Plus, it would help the hot trans fluid from heating up the cold side of the radiator.

Stacked plate coolers <font color=blue>ROCK</font color=blue>

<font color=purple>Twiztid</font color=purple>
    Clearfield Ut.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

ChevyCaGal,

If you bypass the stock cooler I imagine that'd be possible, but that'd be stupid too. There's no way you can overcool your tranny if it's in series with the radiator cooler.

You can not possibly have enough cooling capacity for your transmission. Heat is what kills them and the lower the temp, the longer it will last, to a point.

I can see your point somewhat in running it through the cooler, then the radiator, but I don't have mine that way because optimum trans temp is lower than the water temp--more like 150-160 degrees, not 180 or so like your engine.

Tim

11. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

hey, you got a part # for this B&amp;M cooler???

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>

12. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

Anyone know anything about flex-a-lite? <a target="_blank" href=http://www.flex-a-lite.com>http://www.flex-a-lite.com</a>

Chad

13. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I'm with Jeff (Solo) on this, ya' got a P/N? Is it all on the cooler or is it two separate parts? I've heard of a Trans cooler fluid temp "switch", that bleeds off fluid under tthe set temp to keep it from "burping" a bubble when it switches to full flow.

Jeff; I'd think about running the cooler in the manner stated above (trans/external cooler/rad. internal cooler/trans) At your elivation and temps.

ChadHD; "Know anything about flex a lite?"- Ya need to be a bit more spicific. The link was just to the opening page.
    <font color=purple>Twiztid</font color=purple>

14. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Jeff; I'd think about running the cooler in the manner stated above (trans/external cooler/rad. internal cooler/trans) At your elivation and temps.

<hr></blockquote>

actually I think I've already pretty much decided to do this cuz it just seems to make sense. I'd still like to look into a different cooler, and I'll definately be adding a tranny temp gauge when I redo my cluster with the VDO's.

man if you get bored come up here and rebuild my engine! LOL [​IMG]

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

ATF changes density with temperature.

Edit: oops, sorry, I didn't finish that thought. and now I lost it...

Ratch
    &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com&gt;k5.8m.com&lt;/a&gt;
    **I need a house. Friggin realtor went and sold mine.**<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by newyorkin on 08/06/01 06:17 PM.</FONT></P>

16. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Take a look at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bmracing.com/noflash/index.html>http://www.bmracing.com/noflash/index.html</a>. Every cooler has this feature and it is in the cooler. They sell up to 28,000# GVW but that one don't come with a install kit like the rest do. I am going to get 70264 SuperCooler 24,000 GVW 11"x6"x1-1/2" . I am just waiting to get the time to drop my tranny to see if I need a new flexplate or not so I can order them at the same time.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I bought a GM tranny cooler for the 81-91 trucks (complete with brackets) a few years ago. Even GM's instructions had you plumb the cooler BEFORE the radiator. I didn't like that (cooler is better, right?) so I did it backwards. Didn't hurt anything, but probably in actuality, the tranny fluid WOULD tend to heat the motor up. Not only is the fluid hotter, but the cooler is also "blocking" airflow to the radiator behind it.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I too have the 24,000 lb. model and it's in the return line like the instructions said to make it be.

I don't have the 28,000 lb model because of what someone said, it doesn't come with an install kit and I was too lazy to piece one together.

I have to say that's got to be one of my better mods though.

Tim