Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trans cooler

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Whii338, Sep 7, 2000.

1. Whii338

Whii338 Registered Member

I've deceided to finally get a trans cooler...any recommendations?...do most people run the cooler in series with the stock cooler or instead of the stock one...and is there anything else i need to know before i start?Also i need new shocks...any suggestions? 88k5 daily driver light offroad(camping,mudding etc.)33's and 350.....Thanks in advance for any info

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

B&M makes a good cooler.Get a cooler rated at least 16000 gvw.I mounted the cooler in series, down stream of stock one. Read and follow directions that come with the cooler to install correctly.
    I am using Rancho RS5000 shocks on a factory dual shock set up. Like them just fine. They are a lot better than the Monroe Magnums I took off.

[​IMG]
    Get Out and VOTE!

3. bosifus

bosifus Registered Member

Get the biggest you can and run it in series with the stocker. Good luck!

4. Texas76

Texas76 Registered Member

I am using the B&M Supercooler. So far, it's been great. It lowered the operating temp for my tranny by 35 degrees (and that's on a 100 degree day). The operating temp of my tranny now is 180 degrees. I am also using a remote transmission filter. My fluid runs through the remote filter first, then the radiator, then the tranny cooler, then back to the tranny. Hope this helps.

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yes, i would get the largest cooler you could.

And for the shocks, I have run Rancho 5000' and Superlifts and they all have done pretty well...

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

6. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    I just installed a tranny cooler on my wife's S15 Jimmy this last weekend. I got it at checker for $50. It is a "plate" style cooler these are supposed to be 33% more efficient than the "tube and fin" style. I had minimum space to work with so efficiency for the size, was very important!
    The one I used was pt# 243007 "Maxi-Kool XL" by Imperial it is 7.25"x11"x3/4" it has 72 Plates and has a heat rejection rating of 13,500 BTU's (this was a higher rating than the larger tube and fin type cooler). It was a VERY good kit and came with everything you could need, (cooler, brackets, hose, various sized couplings for the tranny and radiator, zip ties, nuts/bolts/washers, etc...)
    I used the brackets they supplied (I don't like those zip tie thingys[​IMG])
    It worked out great. I don't have a tranny temp gauge so I have no idea how much my temp has dropped?
    Also these are OEM approved by GM, ford, and chrysler.
    They also had a larger one 12"x11"x3/4" part number 243012 it had 120 plates, and a BTU rejection rating of 21,800 This one would not have fit in the little Jimmy, but would easily fit in a full size, they may even have a bigger one?

My shop manual, and the instructions for the cooler, both said you use it in series, AFTER the stock cooler in the radiator
    (I remember there was a discussion about this a while back)