Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trans. Cooler

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by georgiared84, Jun 12, 2003.

1. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

2. georgiared84

anyone.... anyone.... Bueller.....

3. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

if youre just looking to spend lots of money then go for it. otherwise get a 40 buck Hayden at the local parts house and install it infront of your rad.

4. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

The fan is overkill, all you need is a big cooler /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you ever drive it in cold weather you will need the tranny fluid to go the the radiator first. Just like an engine you need to get the tranny fluid up to temp.

6. georgiared84

That's something I haven't thought about. Man... and I got all excited about the cool fan and everything! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I've got a 30,000lb cooler in front of the rad. now for the trans. It doesn't ever really overheat, just thinking about lightening the load on the radiator for the 383. Oh well, I'll just leave the trans fluid going through the radiator and put the cash into a four row.
    Thanks

7. mudtruck

mudtruck Registered Member

I am running one of the permacool set ups with the electric fan. On the older trannys they work pretty well but i had it on my dodge and it cooled the tranny to much. Dont worry the dodge is long gone. I had to many problems with it and it was a 2000. I would rather run the 77 anyway. Any way if you have the extra money i would say go ahead and buy it. If not i would just run the biggest cooler you can fit in front of the radiator.
    Hope this helps you make up your mind. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Adding extra cooling capacity isn't a bad idea. If you place it in series but after the radiator and equip the fan with a thermal switch, you can use the radiator to warm up the tranny and the B&M to cool it even if the engine overheats. You could still overheat the engine though if the tranny overheats but it would take longer. I'm in hot climate where we bypass the radiator all together and keep them seperate.