Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trans. fluid

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by georgiared84, Nov 7, 2002.

1. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Okay, I'm full of stupid mistakes this week. I was putting on my new fuel pump today, and figured I'd top off my trans. fluid since it was at the bottom of the hash marks. Well, for some reason I put the bottle up in the funnel and let it all drain into the trans. It's now about a centimeter over the top of the hash marks. I was going to change it out soon anyway, but will it hurt it to have it a little overfilled for a few days?
    Thanks again.

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i wouldnt think it would, but, ive never had a truck with an automatic in my life, but i wouldnt think that much would hurt it, especially if your gunna change it in a few days. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. georgiared84

Forgot to mention. 700r4 with a heavy rebuild and big cooler. Don't know if that would help with overfilling any, just so you know what trans I'm talking about.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

That's going to be a little more than overfilled when you get up to proper operating range. (Notice on the dipstick there is a dash higher up for when the fluid is hot) Personally, I wouldn't run my truck if it were in the condition you described. Overfilling an auto trans is worse than being a little under. Overfilling will cause it to be sluggish, and possibly spew fluid out through the fill tube all over your engine compartment. 700-r4's are not the strongest to begin with, so by adding to the possible problems, you'd better cross your fingers while driving and hope you don't see your transmission innards laying on the road through your rear-view mirror.
    What am I trying to say - you should probably drain out fluid, at least that's what I'd do.

5. georgiared84

Actually that's the level at opperating temperature. I was running it for a while before I did it, and didn't recheck the level until I had it out on the road to check the fuel pump.

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Okay, but I still would be uneasy driving it. Did it shift funny at all? That would be the first indication to get the excess fluid out.