Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trans fluid

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by georgiared84, Nov 24, 2002.

1. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Any difference between the different brands of dexron 3 atf? I just changed my trans fluid in my 700r4 and it shifts different now. before I used to get a pretty hard shift between first and second, but now I can hardly feel the shift. I can hear it shift by listening to the rpm's, but there's no lurch anymore.It doesn't slip when I'm pulling or anything. Is this a good thing or did I screw it up? I didn't put the most expensive dexron 3 in this time and don't know if that would make a difference.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

That's wierd. Unless your fluid was in really bad shape, new fluid shouldn't make a noticeable difference in your shifts, and if anything, the shifts would become firmer, not softer.

Did you flush the whole system or did you just exchange the pan fluid/filter? I'm not certain, but it would make sense that if your new filter was incorrectly installed it could affect the fluid pressure, which could in turn affect your shifts.......

3. Can Can

Sorry......to answer your main question, as long as you use a quality brand of ATF you should be safe. I wouldn't think that different brands would alter the way your tranny performs, at least not to the degree that you described.

4. georgiared84

I forgot to mention, before I changed it it was a little on the low side. Now it's right ast the top of the hash marks when idling and warm. I changed the fluid and filter, but didn't flush out the whole thing. Like I said, it shifts without slipping, it just doesn't lurch anymore. I was wondering about the fluid type because this time I put in the walmart dexrose type 3 atf. Before I think I have used valvoline.

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

It shifted differently because it was low...dont know how good the Walmart stuff is though...

6. Can Can

90K5's right......your shifts changed because your ATF was low before. So what you're feeling NOW is right. If you find that your shifts are too soft I would recommend that you install a shift kit next time you drop the pan.

I can't vouch for the quality of Walmart's ATF either. I do know that some house brands are just repackaged name brands. For example, my local parts store's 10w30 is Valvoline- the bottle is exactly the same, only the sticker is different.

7. georgiared84

I did a search and found some more info. I think I'll flush it through the cooler return line and put in something better. I know when I dropped the pan I only replaced a few quarts, so I'll just replace it all with new. Is it a bad thing to mix different types of fluid?
    I've done a shift kit on a th350. Is a 700r4 any harder?

8. georgiared84

By the way, Thanks. I figured it might be the level.

9. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Use semi-synthetic... doesntheat up as much...

And go to the lube place and have them mechanically flush it...

They can get 100 percent of the old stuff out...

it's like 60 bucks...

10. Can Can

I've never done a shift kit on a th350, so I wouldn't know the difference. The one for the 700 was pretty straight forward- I can't imagine it being any easier or harder than a 3 speed.

How do you plan on doing the flush? I don't know how easy it is to use the cooler lines wthout any special equipment. FYI, right after I do a tranny service I take the K5 to a local shop and let them do the flush with their special machine.

Lastly, mixing different brands of ATF shouldn't be a problem. What you have to avoid is mixing different grades together, just like you don't mix 10w30 with 15w40.

11. georgiared84

The way I've done it on a th350, and seen it described on here are about the same. Disconnect the return line from the cooler. let it drain into a bucket as you add fluid to the filler while running the engine in neutral.After about 6 quarts in the 350 it pretty much flushed the old out and left only new in. Probobably not as ideal as getting it done at the shop though. I may end up just taking it to get it flushed out. Haven't decided yet. I

12. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

yeah but if your not as quick puttign it inas it is comin out.... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

SMOKIN!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

13. georgiared84

Yeah but then I have a legitimate excuse for putting in the th400. Of course if I do that I'll have to put in a different engine to match with more HP. But then I'll really need a new rear driveshaft with a cv joint to handle the power.. You know come to think of it I'll probobably need to put in the 14ff to handle the power. Then I really should find a d60 to match. Well, those wouldn't look right without a set of 40" swampers. Wait a minute, that'll take at least 6" of suspension lift and a few inches of body lift and a little trimming. Of course if I trim I should go ahead and repaint to prevent rust. Now understand these are all just necessary mods. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif