Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trans leak in front seal area?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazinBaldy, Oct 23, 2002.

1. BlazinBaldy

BlazinBaldy Registered Member

When my trans get hot it starts to leak fluid, but I dont know from where... someone told me that it can be the torque converter or the front seal or the trans pump. Has anyone else had to deal with this... The guy I bought it from just had the trans rebuilt about 2 years ago, so not sure why this is happening so soon. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. rusty79beast

rusty79beast Registered Member

I had ATF leaking from the hole in the bottom of the bellhousing, and I am in the process of replacing the front seal. I took the transmission out on Saturday, but didn't have time to put it back in yet. I sure hope that was the problem, because it is kind of a pain to take the tranny out. If you need to take your tranny out and have questions, I might be able to help since it is still fresh in my mind.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What tranny? I *think* the 700's had a "problem" blowing the front seal out like the 200's did.

In any case, the front seal is no big deal, same type of seal used on GM slip yoke transmissions or transfercases. A screwdriver, flat chunk of wood and a hammer and you'll be all set. After you pull the tranny back far enough to get the converter off of course ; )

Converter leak is pretty unlikely, although it was GM procedure to drill a hole in the torque converters for some sort of testing or draining, they don't have holes in them normally, except the one that fits into the tranny, which is where the seal that may be leaking sits.