Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trans mount?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ktedesco, Jun 9, 2004.

1. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

My transmission/transfer case bounces alot more than I think it should. It also makes a clunk sound during a hard shift. I ordered a poly mount for it through ORD and it should be arriving tommorow. Hopefully this cures the problem. I guess the next step is motor mounts.

Question is, I can't find any info on replacing the mount. Is it as simple as it looks? Put a jack under the transfer case, raise slightly and support, remove old mount and replace with new then remove jack. I just don't want to run into anything unexpected (yea, right /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif). Thanks all!

2. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

when i was replacing a seal on my tranny, i replaced the mounts as well. its easy, just drop the crossmember (due to you having more room to work on it) and just put the new ones on. slap it back up, bolt it on and goooo.

3. evilk5

evilk5 Registered Member

Kevin thats about it, no tricks pretty simple. At least it was easy on the 71 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I would advise against installing just poly trans mount without the corresponding poly motor mounts or vice versa.
    The difference in the movement of the poly and the rubber, esp with old rubber mounts can cause your tranny or adapter to crack. Not fun! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Just my .02,
    John

5. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

Good point. Never thought about that. I could see how that could happen. I probably should the poly engine mounts also. They are alittle pricey though.