Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trans need to warm up?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hidesertwheelin, Nov 13, 2004.

1. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If I don't drive my Blazer everyday, I have to "warm" my tranny up. I assume this is not good. I have to run my Blazer for about 5 min. before the trans go into gear. It is a turbo 350. After it is warm, it shifts no problem and doesn't slip or anything like that. IF I don't wait, you can out it in gear and give it gas and it won't move. The transmission fluid is full, that was the first thing I checked. Is my tranny toast?

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Sounds like You got problems My Friend. You better drop the pan and check things out /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif It sould move just as soon as You drop it in gear.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

your seals are hard. once they warm up they will become softer and the tranny will work better. it will get worse as it gets colder

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

your tranny is not toast, nor would dropping the pan do anything. you have an internal leak, the seals need to warm up before they seal and apply presure to the clutches. my moms car did this very thing.

just get another tranny lined up and wait till you get sick of it or it goes out completely and replace it.

my moms did that for atleast 2 years (did it when we got it) before the tranny finely went.

5. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    your tranny is not toast, nor would dropping the pan do anything. you have an internal leak, the seals need to warm up before they seal and apply presure to the clutches. my moms car did this very thing.

just get another tranny lined up and wait till you get sick of it or it goes out completely and replace it.

my moms did that for atleast 2 years (did it when we got it) before the tranny finely went.

[/ QUOTE ]
    why not just take it in and have it re sealed?

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because once you get it torn down that far, might as well rebuild it.

That said, a TH 350 only costs about $325-350 to have rebuilt.

7. mudhog

but if your tight on money and you pull it out yourself its only about $100 to have it re sealed. its all a matter of if you have the money to just re build it or not

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

C'mon, Shannon. Quit qeustinoning Tim;s logic. DOn;t you kow he knows absolutely evertying?

9. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    C'mon, Shannon. Quit qeustinoning Tim;s logic. DOn;t you kow he knows absolutely evertying?

[/ QUOTE ]
    yes i guess i should have known that by now /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you could do that, but like time said, you might as well have it rebuilt, you have to go threw every clutch pack to get to the piston seal. its just as easy to put new clutches in it as the old. the only difference is parts, labor is gonna be close

either way, the th350 is cheap.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My 72 K5 did this for over 2 years--after nearly getting fired for being late for work all the time ,I put a SM465 in it!.I tried every tranny additive known to mankind--the only thing that helped shorten the wait was a quart of brake fluid(as suggested by a local tranny shop)--I tried it,it helped it go into drive about 2 minites sooner.My TH350 would back up in reverse instantly,but no "drive" or foreward gears until it had been running for about 5-10 minites.I wish I kept that truck--now I have a TH350 with no reverse in my 74 K20--wishing it was a 4 speed now!. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif