Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trans oil cooler

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by snowtoy, Sep 5, 2001.

1. snowtoy

snowtoy Registered Member

I'm using mine K5 towing sometimes, will original oil cooler in radiator be good enough, or do I have to change it with a new one, size?
    Thanks

2. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Go look at Gokartergo's post about a week or two ago. He got one for $50 from Summit...

KEN

DANGIT it's not a bronco!

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If you're towing and your truck has a 700r4 tranny, an auxilliary cooler is MANDATORY!!!! 700r4s hate heat and will self destruct, especially if you're towing heavier loads.

I have a TruCool(made by Long Inc.) cooler with a 22,000 GVW rating. It was a breeze to install and works great. Make sure to run the aux. cooler in series with the rad tranny cooler. Also, try to buy a stacked plate design- the old aluminum tube/fin designs aren't as efficient or tough.

<font color=blue> MEAN DAD WITH TWO BAD KIDS<font color=blue>

4. snowtoy

snowtoy Registered Member

I have a rebuild Th 350, I have a cooler who I can use but not sure how big it is.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would like to 2nd CanmoreK5's post. Get the largest stacked-plate cooler you can find. I use a 24,000 lb. one with my 700R4. I pull a 4,000+ lb. 25' travel trailer with my truck, with no problems, even with the 35" tires.

A TH 350 doesn't have a lockup torque converter so I'd think it's almost as important to have it on there as it is the 700R4.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles