Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trans pan leaking

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazinzuk, Jul 24, 2006.

1. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I put a new trans pan on and it seems to be leaking around the gasket, the gasket is cork kind and the pan is a chrome pan. A freind suggested scuffing up the chrome on the sealing surface. Any suggestions will help

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

did you use any RTV at all? A thin film of it on both sides of the gasket would probably solve the problem if you didn't use any the 1st time..

j

3. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

in my experiences tranny fluid eats rtv........

4. jekbrown

they make different kinds... one of 'em has to ATF resistant. Lots of t-cases and such use trans fluid too.

Does it really eat through it, or is it sorta like that "don't use a radiator gose to extend your PS resevoir, ATF will eat through it!" myth. I'm not saying its impossible... but I've had my radiator hose on my PS neck for what... 3-4 years now? Just looking at it you can tell that its not even thinking about leaking. :thumb: If it does after 10 years, I'll swap in a different hose. :)

j

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

If you are going to use RTV on a tranny pan gasket, spread it THIN!!! If it is too think and oozes out when you put the pan on, there is the potential that some of that RTV will break off and could get lodged in the filter and/or valvebody.

I'd rather see you use high-tack adhesive.

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'd try a new gasket and torquing to the correct figure. Its only 95 INCH pounds on the bolts. Alot of leaking ones I see are from overtorquing.

I also prefer not to use RTV for fear of a piece coming loose inside the tranny. If anything, I'd use high tack like suggested above.

John

7. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

it swelled the cork don't remember what type i used but went stick so i don't have to worrie about that now:D

8. bdozeraz

bdozeraz 1/2 ton status

Get rid of the chrome pan. Chrome retains more heat and chrome doesn't seal very well. RTV does not stick very well to it. Get a stock pan or an aluminum extra capacity.

Brent

9. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

aluminum extra capacity definitely is worth the money, B&M makes some really nice pieces and are competively priced.

10. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yes Yes I know this but I could not afford a nice aluminum pan at the time. The general concencus among several tranny rebuilders I talked to was that a deep chrome pan would be better than a stock pan

I think I will go get a gasket of a different type and an inch pound torque wrench and go from there.

Every tranny rebuilder that I talked to said never never put RTV anywhere near a trans because of reasons stated above, if it comes loose (i.e. you use too much) it could stick a valve or do other things which may cause damage in the trans

11. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

why not a rubber gasket?

12. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

rubber gasket with Ultra Black. It's made by permatex. It's good stuff. Used some on my pan and no leaky no more. You can use it on anything. even diff covers with no gasket. Depending on the temperature it only takes about 20 to 30 min to cure. Don't get it on your clothes though because it doesn't wash out very easy.

13. gmcjimmy4x4

gmcjimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

the gaskets the dealer sells seem to kick ass. Ive never had one leak yet. i ercently changed my front diff oil and no local dealers had the gasket in stock, so i used an aftertmarket and of course 1 week later its leeking and im going to be doing it again this weekend. its worth the 12.00 not to have to do it again

14. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Right Stuff...nothing else matters...

15. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

In my experience with chrome pans (ive done a lot of them since i work at a trans shop) the best thing to do is wire wheel the chrome to scuff it up before you even even try to bolt the pan on, Get a Cork OR Paper gasket and Do not use rtv, the rtv acts just like oil and tears the gasket when you torque it down, put everything on bone dry and you will be fine, if your gonna use any rtv on a tranny pan at all i recommend the right stuff (its what we use on 604 and 606 pans (chrystler front wheel drive trannies) and ive never had one leak ( these are also machined surfaces so they are very flat and have no ridges or anything like that.. ) Nate

16. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Had fiber and cork on my 4L80E, both leaked. Delco gasket dry, no problems.

17. jekbrown

blah blah, whatever... all I know is that I've seen tranny shops use rtv-looking stuff on trans pans before. :thumb:

j

18. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Bingo.

19. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yup, I never use a silicone based product in conjunction with a gasket..

Think about it, whats the first thing you think of when you here silicone, slippery...

I'll either use a gasket adhesive like Hi-Tack , or Perfect Seal is another product that kicks arse... We use tons of it in the marine business...

20. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

warp!..

Most of my trannies with leaky pans were due to the boob who put the last filter on using too much elbow grease or an air gun to tighten the bolts up--which warped the hell out of the pan where the bolts go!--I just used a hunk of heavy flat steel and a hammer to "flatten" the pan back down around the bolt holes,and used a "WIX" brand gasket--if it still leaked I got a different pan..I avoid using RTV on automatic trannies..if the pan is flat,the tranny surface clean,and you use the thicker rubber gasket,none should be needed..

The bolts only need to be snug,not torqued down real tight!--many valve covers suffer from the same fate too!..

Those chrome pans are crappy thin steel,and are nnotorious for leaking and warping.--I'd rather use a stock pan than one of those...but you should be able to get by with it..:crazy: