Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trans Pan Torq Specs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by badfish4tail, Mar 8, 2005.

1. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

Anyone know the torq specs for the trans pan on a TH400 transmission. I am going to drop the pan this weekend due to the pan leaking at freeway speeds only. Thanks...

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

its about 12 ft lbs.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Pan is less likely to leak when moving then when not. When running there is less fluid in the pan then when the engine is off.

Pull the inspection cover and check for leaks up behind the converter. The fluid will run down the front of the transmission and wick along the edge of the pan. Also check the Accumulator and governor covers. Sitting they are not under pressure but driving they are. Again the leak on the side will roll over the lip and wick around appearing to be a leak.

Any pan like that wether it be tranny of covers are very little torque at all. Make sure it is oil free before installing gaskets. Some brake cleaner on a paper towel to wipe down the seal surfaces. Cork gaskets seal quite well without additional sealants as long as the surfaces are oil free.

Once the pan is off check it for being true. Over tightened pan bolts distort the pan and cause leaks. True it up. Bolts do not need to be very tight at all. really not a lot tighter then finger tight. I hod a short socket by the head or use a nut driver so I can't accidentally over tighten them by using a long wrench.

4. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

I could almost swear it was 8 in/lbs but don't hold me to it.