Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trans Problem 700R Need Help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jackson 88K5, Nov 9, 2000.

1. Jackson 88K5

Jackson 88K5 1/2 ton status

Heading home for lunch today when turning the corner I heard a loud pop[​IMG] and the engine was still running but my 88 Blazer started coasting [​IMG],I tried all gears even reverse- nothing. The fluid level is good and no burnt smell. I put it in park and it locks in place. Tonight, I got it home in the driveway (had to push it home) and while trying all gears no movement. Last week I started hearing noises from the transmission almost like a low gear sound when in 4 wheel drive low. A friend said it might be the torque converter? Looking for some help to narrow it down so I can figure out what to do next. Running stock 350 with 700R and 31X10.5 Thank you.

http://www.tjcommons.com/88K5/

2. Jackson 88K5

Jackson 88K5 1/2 ton status

I got it in the garage and looking at the problem, I see that I have a 208 C2 transfer case. I saw an add in Uncle Henry's our state wide everything book for an 700r4 with 208 T/C from an 86 K5. He wants 400 buck[​IMG].
    Wondering if that a good deal? I'm thinking that my torque converter went out? Not quite sure yet.

http://www.tjcommons.com/88K5/

3. I blew two 700R4's within a year and neither one blew everything at once. I lost only O.D. in one and 3rd & 4th in the other one. Too weird to lose it all at once, trannies usually give a sign. As for the used one, I wouldn't trust it for 400 bucks. 1986 is not a good year for the 700R4. I found a GM reman from 1993(meaning newer upgrades and case)with 10,000 miles on it for a good deal and it is holding out very well so far.(running 4:56's and 38" tires, oh yeah it is in a Burb) Just my $.02 !!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!