Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trans Problem HELP!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89k5blazr, Jun 11, 2002.

1. 89k5blazr

89k5blazr Registered Member

I got an 89 K5 with the 700R4 and it just isnt shifting right. With the lever in overdrive, the truck will take off in first gear, then up-shift to second (a little under 25 Mph i think) then i the truck doesnt shift again until its torqued out (high RPMS) and at 37Mph, my best guess is that its not even going into 3rd gear, but it certainly isnt going into Overdrive cuz the fastest i could go is around 55mph with the motor screaming... If this sounds "typical" of any tranny problems, please HELP... oh yea and i dropped the pan and changed teh filter today and it didnt do a thing.

2. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Try readjusting the TV cable. Sometimes they stretch and you have to readjust them.

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Motor screaming at 55mph means that you are in 2nd gear. 3rd gear should be fine at 55 unless you have swapped in 5.73 gears or something.

This means that your forward clutch is OK and the band is OK. If it just won't go to third, it could be a stuck valve, a very screwed up TV cable or a blown out 3-4 clutch pack or piston. It could be the 2-3 shift valve is sticking.

A bad TV cable or stuck Throttle valve is more likely to make you get stuck in 1st then to shift normally to 2nd and then wind out in 2nd. A bad governor would also wind you out in every gear or just clunk you up through the gears at really low rpm.

What happens at 37mph? Does reverse still work?

4. 89k5blazr

Ok...i've refined the problem... Reverse works fine, and first gear shifts out and into second at 37 mph and second goes out and into third somewhere around 55...and i will assume that overdrive would kick in somewhere around 70 (i'm not going to beat on my truck to find out), which would be great if i was trying to break land speed records in a blazer... but i'm not. So, if this helps anyone who could help me... THANKS!

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Since the shift points don't seem to have changed from your first post, (did you just pay more attention to the shifts, or did the shift MPH change that much??) did you adjust the TV cable as was earlier suggested? When it finally shifts is it neck breaking hard or real mushy? Either of those can be a symptom of a TV problem, of which, TV cable maladjustment is the most common cause.

6. 89k5blazr

i readjusted the cable and the problem still exists... but then i purposely adjusted the cable VERY wrong and the problem didnt change(get better or worse)... so is it possible for that cable to become disconnected inside the trans?

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, a few things.
    TV cables can become disconnected in the tranny, but that seems pretty unlikely. Pull the cable off the carb/TB, and pull on it. If the cable pulls back, then its still hooked up. Not had a 700 apart, but all the other GM auto trans with a detent or TV cable have a small spring that pulls the cable back when released. Aftermarket "universal" TV cables suck, if you've got one, get a real GM one.

Almost sounds like you perhaps have a stuck governor if the TV cable is ok. I had luck when my TH400 had problems like this (not shifting) by shifting it through all forward gears when it was "stuck" in first gear. (which means you have to be moving, and go from 1-OD and all the way back down) After LOTS of shifts (25, 50, 100?) it finally "unstuck" and shifting went back to normal and stayed that way. Just a thought...

8. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Smell your fluid, if it smells like burning celery it is toast, I had a similar problem, I was losing gears from the top down, and eventually left me suck in first. Look for metal shavings in the fluid also, my brother lost his th350 and completely locked up the rear tires when it went.