Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trans problems

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by BIGNICK91, Aug 17, 2006.

1. BIGNICK91

BIGNICK91 1/2 ton status

I can't get my transmission pan to seal up.

The stock pan was leacking like crazy, so i bought a TCI chrome pan and i can't get this one to seal either. I have tried cork, rubber , siliconce +cork. still leaks. :mad: SOB

Any ideas

P.S.
    My lift will be here next week :D
    3" front 4" in rear Tuff Country Springs all around

Scott you can have you old springs back turns out i don't need them. Thanks anyway. But they got a fresh coat of paint on them while they were visiting

2. BIGNICK91

BIGNICK91 1/2 ton status

John Looks Like A Freegin Chip Munk:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

3. 5280k5

5280k5 1/2 ton status

Nick chrome=leaks, that's always been my experience. cork gaskets are ok as long as you torque to exact spec. after that they're junk. silicone shouldn't ever be needed on a trans pan(I can hear out tranny guy cursing under his breath everytime he gets one w/rtv on it!!) Most of the trans pan
    gaskets we use are a paper type that hold up pretty well. Let me know if you can't find one, ok?

4. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

..... Soooo.... What kinds of springs are these and where are they going? :ears::D

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

They were the stock 52" rears out of my K5. We had a deal, my springs for his overload leaves. The only reason I was hanging on to the springs was to use the overload leaf as a zero rate by cutting the overloads down some.

So if you have a set of overloads, we could trade for the springs.

6. mrk5

What 5280k5 said. I used a cork gasket and a torque wrench. No leaks. I was really reluctant to try it without any RTV, but it worked torquing to the proper setting.

Are you sure the leak isn't coming from the fill tube. That's what I had to replace once on one of my trannies.

7. OrangeCrushK10

Ah, nevermind. I just tore apart my old 52's a couple days ago to rebuild... those old bushings suck eggs when trying to get them out...

8. mrk5

Holesaw, sawzall, chisel. Got it down to 10minutes/bushing when I did the 6 in the rear.

Holesaw the rubber, just big enough to go outside the inner sleeve. Use sawzall to score the outer sleeve, go as deep as your brave enough to attempt, and then chisel to peel out the outer sleeve using the score to start.

9. OrangeCrushK10

Tried the hole saw. Worked great on the outer dry & cracked rubber, but about a 1/4" in it hit good rubber and didn't do anything.

I'm going to go refill my acetylene bottle in about an hour and give it some of that. :p:

10. BIGNICK91

BIGNICK91 1/2 ton status

I sanded off the chrome a paper gasket is the only one i haven't tried.

What do think about double gaskets?
    what do you guys torque your pans to?

11. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Nick.

Before you go any further. Where exactly is the "pan leak" coming from. Did you look or run your finger around the pan flange? Front seal leaks and dipstick leaks are very deceptive.

12. 5280k5

5280k5 1/2 ton status

I woudn't double the gaskets for sure. Torque spec on pan bolts is 97 inch/lb
    Might be worth checking like the other guys said where exactly the leak is coming from. $2 for brake cleaner is your cheapest way to start;)

13. mrk5

I'm a freak about using a torque wrench, the nuclear navy did that to me. You can get a torque wrench that will do those small settings like 97 in-lbs (or 8 ft-lbs) for $20 from Harbor Freight. That's what I use and it works for me. I like using it for stuff like carbs and valve covers, too.

14. BIGNICK91

BIGNICK91 1/2 ton status

The pan is leaking at the very front, where the two middle bolt are the furthest apart

15. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Okay, here comes the fun part. It's possible your front pump seal is leaking. If you remove the inspection cover, stick your finger up above the trans pan flange and get trans fluid that is probably the problem.

I had this same issue and changed pan gaskets 3 times before I figured out the leak was just above the pan. If it's dry up there you can breathe a sigh of relief. You may have to squeeze your finger between the torque converter and the flange to get it up in there.

16. BIGNICK91

BIGNICK91 1/2 ton status

dry as a bone up there

17. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Have you checked the pan for warpage? Try sitting the pan on a piece of glass, see if it rocks around. I had a 727 pan that gave me fits, years ago. I finally used those Chevy valve cover bolt washers-the ones that look like a pregnant "I". That way I could tighten a little more without tweaking the pan flange. Problem solved.

18. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

That's good! :thumb:

The only other thing I can suggest is to do what 3tree says. You may want to invest in a new pan, aluminum if you can afford it.