Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trans shifter cable

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by bigjbear, Oct 24, 2005.

1. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Anyone ever change the transmission shifter cable on one of these? How much of a PITA is it? Do I need to go into the steering column?

My '95 Yukon won't shift into park. The outer cover separated and the cable kinked/birdcaged near the trans end. I pushed it back together and it worked for a while, but now it won't go past reverse. I have to put the lever into park and then get under the truck and push arm into the park detent.

2. bigjbear

Anyone?

3. bigjbear

After nursing it along for a while It finally got too mushy to live with anymore. So in case anyone else needs the info later, here you go:

This was a super simple repair. The hardest part was getting the carpet up enough to get access. Pull the lower dash trim, driver's seat, and the plastic on the driver's side floor.

Put the trans and shifter in Neutral-mine was bad enough I had to do this separately. Pop the ends the shifter lever stud and trans actuator stud. Remove the grommet in the trans tunnel, the new cable comes with one in the proper position. Then cut the zip ties on the plastic standoffs, the new cable also comes with these. Now remove the metal clips that hold the wings extended at each end of the cable. Squeeze the plastic wings in and slide the cable out of the bracket.

Install is the reverse. Adjusting the new cable:
    Before you move anything make sure you are in Neutral at the trans and shifter, then pull plastic shipping spacer out of the adjustable (trans) end of the cable. Last push the plastic clip in, I did it part way just make sure everything cycled properly, then I pushed it all the way in.

You do not need to disassemble the steering column or do anything with the air bag. I cursed this system when it started messing up on me, but after I saw how simple it was, I like it better than the old linkage. The only downside is the cable was almost $100 at the dealer.