Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trans swap/power Q's...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by StageZ, Jul 15, 2001.

1. StageZ

StageZ Registered Member

trans swap/power Q\'s...

I have an 84 K5, 350, 350 trubo tranny, stock diffs... and a 205 transfer box... I am looking at getting a new transmissions and was wondering what tranny should I be looking at to go with my setup and some 37" wheels... right now I have 35's and would like to feel a little more power out of this 350... any info would help... I am new to the 4x4 scene and havent go into the gearing issues yet... If someone could help, it would be much appreciated... thanks in advance...

2. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Re: trans swap/power Q\'s...

The only automatic transmission upgrade from the Th-350 would be something along the lines of a Turbo 400 family. To be honest with you the ony advantage you will get from that is an increased power handling capabilty. On the bad side, more wieght, you need another t-case, different cross member location, mucho $$. I have seen trucks with bigblocks and 40" tires running TH-350 with no problems. You are prob best off sticking with what you have especially since it isn't too shabby. With a well built Trans you should be all set.

The other option is to convert to a stick, 465. This is a durable transmission all around the board. You will have to confirm the spilne count on the trans to make sure you can use your t-case. This is a pretty involved swap as all are.

Stick with the TH-350, just my 2 cents.
    Mike

You call that dirty!?

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

the th350 is a great tranny. The th400 is a bit stronger but also uses more HP to run. If you don't need it, don't use it. The th350 would be fine.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

If what you need is to feel more power, maybe you just need a gear swap (ring & pinion in the differentials), not a tranny swap. It's cheaper and simpler. You'll have to get a pro do it, though.

Everyone recommends 4.11 gears for 35" tires. Try to find out what gears you have by removing a differential cover and counting the teeth in the ring & the pinion. Then divide the big number by the small number and you'll get your current gear ratio.

If you don't want to try that messy procedure, try jacking up a wheel;, then turn it two (not one) revolutions while you count how many times your driveshaft turns. This is not as accurate, but if you get about three revolution on the driveshaft, you probably have 3.07 gears. If you "almost" get 4 revoultions, you probably have 3.73 gears, and so on. A few Blazers also had the 3.42 option.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]