Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trans Swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crash1369, Jun 1, 2006.

1. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

ok i have already gotten allot of help on this from some of you guys, thanks allot to thoes of who helped. Anyway I am putting a sm465 into my 88 4x4 auto blazer and i just wanted to makesure i have everything as i want to try and get it done this week end. Anybody have and last minute suggestions or tips / tricks, also any small parts or stuff that is likely to be overlooked i think i have everything but im not sure. And finally the question i havent been able to get an answer to do i need to do anyhting with the computer ive had about the same # of people tell me yes or no so i just want to know if i do what will happen its just going to idle roughly and possibly stall correct? I called my pontiac dealer (yes not chevy the chevy dealer sent me there) and the guy swears i wont need to he says he has the same truck and did the same thing so i figured ill put in the trans and drive it down there if it feels fine then ill leave it if not ill get it reprogramed.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You will trip the service engine soon light and pull a code for no lock-up on the convertor but that's about it. If you need to pass smog i'm not sure how fussy they are where you live but here in California if the check engine light is on it automaticly fails a smog check.

3. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

oh, allright thanks allot nobody actually said what would happen. ill probably get tired of looking at that light but that can be fixed later. so no sugested parts or anything thats commonly over looked that i should check or anything?

4. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

The SM 465 is HEAVY especially if the transfer case is attached. I used an engine hoist throught the window to pick it up so I could wiggle it into place...

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The programming IS different between a manual and auto truck, there is no question on that, the question is, will you notice?

This is the same as some people not running a vehicle speed sensor and having no problems, others hook one up and voila, the problem(s) are gone. Totally random whether it's a problem or not. It's not right, but whether it's really problematic or not, eh.

Gist of post=try it and see. :)