Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trans t-case leak

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dafey, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Dafey

Dafey 1/2 ton status

In between my trans an t-case is leaking whats that gasket called?
    Any idea what it would cost to have it replaced :eek1:

Also theres 2 mount`s at the front of the t-case,there trashed from the leak,what are they called because I need new one`s.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

205 or 203 transfer case? May not matter, but the older 205 used 2 piece transmission/transfercase mounts. You shouldn't get the wrong thing if you tell them the year of your vehicle, and that it's 4wd, whether they call it a transfercase or transmission mount. (or both)

The transmission to adapter gasket is the one side, the other is the adapter to transfer case gasket.

3. Dafey

Dafey 1/2 ton status

Sorry..Its a 203.

Mine are also 2 piece,a big horseshoe on top and a flat piece on bottom,with a bolt going up from the bottom.
    But I need to get the leak fixed first,if I replace the mounts they will just get trashed from the leak.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, I wasn't really clear, the 205 mounts total 4 rubber pieces, an upper and lower for each bolt. So sounds like 203 use same/similar setup.

Not a bad idea to fix the leaks first. :)

5. Dafey

Dafey 1/2 ton status

Hey can I just remove the driveshaft and pull the t-case back to replace the gasket or what ever is in between the two?

6. That One Dude

That One Dude Newbie

you should be able to just pull them apart a bit. if you go that route, i'd recommend using RTV to hold the gaskets to the mating surfaces.

pulling the t-case would be more work than its worth IMO.

7. Dafey

Dafey 1/2 ton status

I dont have a way to pull it any way,so its just pull them apart a bit or have someone do it for me.I will look in the Chiltons [or which ever cheap one I have] and see what it takes to pull them apart.

8. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

here is how to fix it.

remove both driveshafts. unhook the 4wd shifter linkage and speedo cable. you may also have a side support that needs to be unbolted from the t-case. support the bottom of your trans and unbolt the t-case and adapter from the transmission. clean up the mounting surfaces and install the gasket, I would just use silicone. bolt it back together. reinstall the driveshafts.

send me a PM and ask how much I want for the bushings you need. I have a set of Poly ones that were installed and then the truck was wrecked.

9. Dafey

Dafey 1/2 ton status

THANKS for the info!! :bow: :bow: I copy/pasted it to Word and put it on my desktop. :laugh:

If I install poly t-case mounts then I would have to put in poly motor mounts too :(