Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trans & T-case questions for anyone who has done a sfas

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by j20m715, May 20, 2003.

1. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

I have a 97 2 door that Im thinking about putting a soild frt axle under.

I plan on running a pass side diff, should I keep the stock trans & just replace the t-case ?

OR

If I replace both the trans & t-case, How do I get the computer to work with the new trans & t-case ?

What is everyone using for a trans & t-case ?

Give me your opinions

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would keep the trans and run a 205 t-case. Advance adapters and/or ORD makes adapters for the 4l60/80e to the 205 I believe... Well I know Advance does for sure anyway.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

everyone here to my knowledge is running stock tcase. I am not certain abotu the 4l60e but you could just get the 700R4 adaptor for a 208 and use that. Would give you drive side diff. But see the ORU kit is designed for ford axles and as already stated its recommended you use the kit. Seriouslly it may sound simple to just make new mounts but when you consider you have to line up 4 seperate items perfectly or else risk really screwing up handling, camber, ride quality, and countless other things. That and do you have the facilities to cut and weld all those pieces and brackets? I am not certain I would trust myself with those welds since they do some pretty damn critical stuff. In the end maybe $700 isn't too outrageous for time and aggravation? Also you will have to make all the measurements and designs with the IFS stuff removed. Meaning the truck will be out of comission for a couple weeks and it sounds like its your wifes driver so maybe the few day install is a big advantage.

4. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How big do you want to go?? If you going with 35s or so, then the 4l60 will work ok. You can either get a 208/241 from an earlier truck/k-5/burb, or get the adaptor and run a 205. ORU sells the kit for both newer Ford and GM axles, 36" and 32" spring pad width, and there the same price, inless they raised it. I got the 32" kit and went on ok, and running a 60. Since my truck is rather large, and is a 1 ton with a 454, a 700 isn't gonna hold up long, so gonna be using a 400 when I can find a good one.

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Use a Dodge divorced-mount NP205 behind your existing NP241. No messing with adapters. No messing with electronics. Just an extra crossmember and driveshaft. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

did you put the 454 in there?

7. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

aight i swapped in a TH350 into my truck and if i get a ford axle i wont have to change the NP241 t case but if i get a chevy axle which t case should i get and will it just bolt up to the th350? ok i want a 14 sf rear axle b/c i want to keep the 6 lug pattern but is there a sf front axle with 6 lug? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

8. b454rat

Nope, was already in there when I got screwed buying the truck for $500. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I changed everything esle tho.

9. b454rat

If you have the TH350 in there now, and may/may not run a Ford front axle, I don't know if they ever made 88-up with the Th350, at least I've never seen or heard of one. If you run the GM axle, then you could run a 205, 208 or 241. All depends what you want. I prefer the 205. I like the idea of the shafts not coming out by alot of flex or axle droop. Some people don't like it cause of the low isn't very low, I never had a prob with the low. Then again I don't do rocks, aren't too many around here. 205s for a 350 are getting kinda hard to find, but are out there. 208s are more common. All front axles are full floating, meaning there are bearing that hold up the weight of the truck, not just the axle shaft itself. Any 1/2 ton truck, k-5 or burb will have the 6 lug front axle, (obviously 4wd) if you want to retain the 6 lugs.

10. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

yeah i swapped in a TH350. i took the 700R4 out. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. 96chevysfa

96chevysfa 1/2 ton status

im running the 4l60(slightly upgraded after rebuild) mated to a gm 205 case. my tranny is holding up fine. id keep your existing tranny if i were you.

12. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Ive got a 91 i, finishing up now and I went with a chevy dana60 and swapped out the entire drivetrain.I went with the sm465/205 at first but was having diveshaft angle problems so i built a 203-205 doubler and everything fits great.I built all my own brackets for the sfas and believe me it wasnt an easy fast task.Many moons went into the design.Wost part of the whole thing was getting the 14 bolt ff to fit in the rear(the frame is really wide on these trucks!) so I had to 4 link/coil spring it ......Dam the luck!