Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trans/t-case "ringing"

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by yeild2me, Sep 8, 2001.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

trans/t-case \"ringing\"

ok, my truck makes this gear/whine/ringing noise at hiway speeds, so i jacked it up and ran it up to 65 mph on jack stands. at about 50/55 the ringing started and comes from my trans/t-case. its pretty loud, but not deafing! does this mean that my 160000 mile drive train may nearing the end of the road?? i have a 700r4/np241/14 bolt

350 TBI, 700R-4, NP241, D44-14FF, 4:10's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, full conv., full cage
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com>www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com</a>

2. 1975k5

1975k5 Registered Member

Re: trans/t-case \"ringing\"

last year i owned a jeep commando with a ringing coming from the rear axle. it turned out to be the ring gear and pinion were severely worn and loose. i would say your drive train is approaching its lifespan.

3. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'd go for cheap first, and change out the U-joints....they can cause a ringing sound that seems like it is coming from somewhere else.....also, check your tranny mount....bad mount can torque your driveline outta line, and drive ya nutz tryin' to find the prob.....(been there, done this).....good luck.....JD

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Ditto on the u-joints[​IMG]

1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila Floor
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>