Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trans temp gauge ??'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jarheadk5, Mar 18, 2001.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Trans temp gauge ??\'s

I'm planning on mounting the sensor for my new Autometer trans temp gauge in the pressure line to the trans cooler. Anyone know what size T-fitting I'm going to need to mount the sensor in the line?

Uh oh, just looked at the parts. The threads on the sensor are male, along with the adapters it came with. Is this gonna be a problem?

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Re: Trans temp gauge ??\'s

Come on, someone has to be able to help me out here!!

3. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

did you get the mechanical guage or electric?? I just bought the mechanical guage, and I'm putting it in the line, but I had to order the adapter thingy. So autometer makes the thing that you need if you bought the mechanical one, if you got the electric guage, can't help you out, sorry. Also, where are you mounting the guage?
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    "if it ain't got rust, it ain't got character."

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

It's the electric gauge. I'm mounting them in the bezel where the factory gauges are. I plan to replace them all soon; I've got the trans temp in the lower left hole where I had nothing, and the others will be replaced by the same Autometers, when I get them.

5. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

I have the electrical one on mine. I have it inside the trans with the wires coming out of the factory plug for the harness. You have to pull the pan and get some different fittings to make it work. I figured you can get the best reading in the trans not outside of the trans. Oh yeah it pays to know a transmission man!

6. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I just installed my electric guage this weekend. What I did thanks to some advice from this board. I installed two sending units one in the out going line and one in the incoming line. I then hooked up a switch (spdt) inside so I can switch between either sending unit. I went to the hardware store and bought some brass fittingings, it worked out really well. the tranny line size it 1/4" that is your fitting size. You will need an extension, a tee, and a 45 degree elbow on mine but you can configure the fittings many differant ways.. Good luck let me know if you want more details.

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

7. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Do you notice much of a temp drop between the two senders?

Smitty

8. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

For the 700R4, the connections for the trans cooler lines are 5/16" pipe flare. Just spent Saturday morning making new lines.

9. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

The truck is still in the garage getting other repairs so I havent yet driven it yet. But I did have the truck ilding for a little while in the garage and the temp difference was about 50 degrees.

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

10. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

How hard was it putting the guage in the lower left guage pod? Thats where I'm going to put mine. How did you mout it in?? I have the website where a guy shows us how to put all autometer guages in the orig, dash. Just wondering how you did it. Any info will help. Thanks
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    "if it ain't got rust, it ain't got character."
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bens87toy.coloradok5.com>http://www.bens87toy.coloradok5.com</A>

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I've seen that site too. The guy's got a white '85 pickup, right?

I just used my Dremel tool to cut the bezel from the backside. The small gauge holes have a step to them; I cut off down to the step, then trimmed as needed to get the gauge through the hole. The silver trim ring on the gauge is on the outside of the bezel. I think it looks real good. I've taken some pics w/my new digital camera; I just need to find someone with a USB port to download the pics off the camera... I'm planning on doing a nice write-up on my install and giving it to Steve to post on the site. That way everyone can see one way to do this mod.

12. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Oh I see, so you put it through the front so it is kinda flush with the bezel? I going to put it behind the bezel so it will be behind the bezel. Thats how this guy did it that I saw. Thanks for the info.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bens87toy.coloradok5.com>http://www.bens87toy.coloradok5.com</A>

13. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Exactly, the gauge is mounted through the front of the hole. Personally, I think installing the gauges behind the bezel is too much work, makes the mounting more difficult than it needs to be. Just my opinion though...
    Blazerboy, that's a great idea! I'm gonna have to make a Radio Shack run to get a switch!