Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trans Temp Gauge

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by justpushplay, Jan 15, 2004.

1. justpushplay

justpushplay Registered Member

For an 86 with a 700r4. I don't know the first thing about them, how does it install and where can I buy one? Also, what would be considered a normal tran temp operating range.

Thanks

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The last one I had came with a 'T' that spliced into the hard line from the tranny to the rad. The 'T' had a sender unit on it that was wired direct to a gauge. Think I got mine from Summit. Don't remember the op. temp as it was on a previous truck and I don't have one on this truck...yet! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

The one I have installs right in the side of the tranny pan.

I used a drain plug kit because it threads right into the plug on mine.

From what I've understood, about 30 degrees below what your engine coolant runs is what your tranny should be at.

Hope that helps ya some. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

i have always been told to keep tranny temp under 190. i ran a temp gauge on my ram and it stayed around 170 to 180 with a stock cooler...

[​IMG]

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

from what I understand you can even run a regular coolant temp guage for tranny temp. Just install a fitting into the tranny fluid pan and hook it up.

6. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Have one in my 91 sub.. (B&M).. here's a little more info on it.. ( go thru Home >Transmission Products >Transmission Temperature Gauge ) and then Tech Info....
    B&M
    If you look close @ gauge, it shows the 'acceptable' range.
    (added a whopping cooler to mine, and seldom get to 150 now on the return fluid temps. Going to add a 2nd one to get the 'exiting' tranny temps to see how effective it is.

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I installed mine in the pump pressure test port on the drivers side of the tranny. It is a 1/8 NPT just like my trans sender (autometer). At this location it will read the temp after the pump but before any of the coolers. It makes for a very clean install and you don't have to use any special adapters or weld a fitting into the pan. My temp runs about 175* with the factory and aftermarket cooler.

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I installed mine in the pump pressure test port on the drivers side of the tranny. It is a 1/8 NPT just like my trans sender (autometer). At this location it will read the temp after the pump but before any of the coolers. It makes for a very clean install and you don't have to use any special adapters or weld a fitting into the pan. My temp runs about 175* with the factory and aftermarket cooler.

[/ QUOTE ]
    On what tranny? I'm looking to install one on my burb soon (TH350) and am looking for the best place to install it.

9. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

i got the autometer performance series trany gauge. the sender comes with a whole bunch of brass fittings so it can be screwed into many different size holes. the fittins let the sender screw into themselves then you screw the fittings into the right aplication. i drilled a hole in the side of the pan and sandwiched the pan inbetween the sender and a larger fitting. then i jb weilded the outside part of the pan. when yo do this be sure the sender has a good ground if it dosnt it will read wrong or not read at all.

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

That was on my s10 with 700r4. The TH350 is in about the same place at the transition from the body to the bell on the drivers side. The TH350 might be a 1/4" NPT so you might need an adapter...I don't remember. Most of the other test ports are farther back and clumped together so I don't think there is any way to confuse them.

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Got a pic or description of that port?

14. chevystepside

chevystepside 1/2 ton status

i was looking at my 700r4 that i,m going to rebuild. that plug or port are talking about is that the one just above the shifter linkage on the lefthand side of the bell housing?

15. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I thought my previous description was good /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Does this help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]

16. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I thought it was a good description /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I was so excited I must have blown right past it or posted without seeing it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif