Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trans temp guage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boots, Feb 17, 2003.

1. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

am looking at making an inline temp manifold for my trans (th350). I am having trouble finding a transtemp guage locally for a decent price. My main question is whether or not a standard oil temp setup will work or not. I'm assuming I should mount this as close to the output fitting of my trans rather than up near the coolers or even after the coolers. anyone know off hand what size/pitch those oil temp sending units are for the most part?

thanks
    me

2. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Ant standard oil or even a water temp gauge will work for trans temps. Sending unit only sees temperature not whether it's in oil or water. Most sending units are a pipe thread size of either 1/4" pipe or at most 3/8" pipe. I've seen very few in 1/2" pipe. They should be mounted as close to the source of "heat" as possible, usually in the oil pan.

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

a search on the topic will give you lots of great info.

4. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I bought my gage(autometer)from Summit and also bought a external spin on trans oil filter unit. Use a trans temp gage it has a lower temp range. It has a hole where you can mount the sending the sending unit and also has a spin on filter. I plumbed the filter to the trans outlet tube so it gets the highest fluid temp. I had the sending unit on the drain plug but pulled the wire off out wheeling so I killed three birds with one stone, got a better location, better filter and added another quart to the system to help cooling. Plus I did not have to hack up any lines. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifLater Slider