Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trans temp sender install/Brazing how to

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Jul 20, 2006.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

What is the best way to install a trans temp sender in a cast alum tranny pan? Read one place said might be able to drill & tap a hole, pan is ~1/8th thick, just doesnt seem like enough thread engagement to me.

Other thing I saw was brazing it in. One thing I see says you need an oxy-acet torch, another says a propane torch (I got one of these lol), and the list goes on to something that says just to JB Weld it in.

If I were wanting to braze it in, what do I need to get (rod/filler/flux) and can it be done with a propane torch? What would the procedure be? Its a brand new pan also.

Thanks.

2. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

maybe drill and tap it and find a nut that you can loctite inside of the pan? or drill/tap and jb weld?

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

drill and tap

wouldn't want to practie my brazing on a cast aluminum trans pan(usually not cheap)

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I would think anything higher than 300* will fry the sender!
    B&M makes a sender with their tanny temp gauge, also Autometer, VDO etc.
    Bottom line, they are threaded, probably all 1/8 NPT. You could cut and thread the pan.
    If the pan already has a drain plug, the B&M pan plug kit has a bung for the pan, and an 1/8 NPT drain plug. The B&M sender can swap for the B&M drain plug. Thats whats on mine.:D

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh I just didnt know about how strong that pan would be threaded, thats probably what Ill do now that I think about it, dont really wanna be melting the pan. Dont really wanna use the drain plug, because it threads in the bottom, and I see the potential to rip it off, and I already have poor luck with transmissions.

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

How about putting the sender in one of the tranny lines?

Cut a line, or plumb into it where it feeds into the cooler, and tee into it.

This is what the B&M tranny temp gauge kits use.

Yes, you should know what temperature your tranny is, not the cooler, but my feeling is that I know where on the gauge is normal for my truck, and past that is bad, regardless of where the sender is plumbed or what the precise number is :)

-- A

7. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

That is what I did. I got brass fittings from NAPA then I used silver solder and brazed them together with my ox/ac torch.

8. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

Thread the sender into the pressure port on the side of the case. If you really want it in the pan then weld in an aluminum NPT bung. I've never had luck trying to braze cast aluminum.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

cant braze aluminum!!...

You might be able to solder or TIG weld aluminum with the right rods,but brazing is for ferrous metals like steel or iron only!--(the instructions assume your installing it in the OEM tranny pan made from steel)..

Only way to "weld" aluminum is with a TIG welder,or a MIG with aluminum wire--there is a kind of solder,you can use with a propane torch called "Rub-On"..I've had very limited sucess with it--works great on canoes,beer cans,aluminum tubing like that found on A/C condensors..but doesn't work very well on small engine cases,the main reason I bought some!..:crazy:

10. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

diesel4me do a quick google search and you'll see there are brazing rods and fluxes for much more than just "steel or iron". Aluminum can be brazed with the right materials. My few feeble attempts at brazing cast aluminum went poorly. Maybe someone else has had some success

11. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I second this. I put mine in the line going out to the cooler. I figure that should be the hottest temp because it has gone all the way through the torque converter.

I used this to hook it up:

[​IMG]

Pretty simple since it uses compression fittings.

It's called a temperature manifold and it's made by Autometer. There's one for 5/16" and 3/8" tubing.

12. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

What came with the gauge kit?

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yup...

I'm aware there are fluxes and "brazing" rods for aluminum,and other non ferropus metals..I was assuming he was referring to brass brazing rod like you'd use on steel or iron...I'm sure the brazing of aluminum and other non ferrous metals is an art form,that most do it yourselfers won't have much luck doing!...

I've seen guys use a large nut and bolt thru the pan,using fiber washers to prevent leakage--they drill out the center of a big bolt,like a 3/4",and tap the hole with the correct threads to receive the sending unit..have to make sure there is enough clearance ,to ensure the head of the bolt wont interfere with any internals of the tranny....:crazy:

14. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

15. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member