Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trans Temp

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hossbaby50, Sep 1, 2001.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have a 700R-4 in my Jimmy. I put a cooler and B&M temp gauge on it. When I put the gauge on I put it on the return line from the cooler. Thinking about it later I should have put it on the other line to see the fluid temperature before it cooled. I've never see the temp go above 160 on the return line. I was wondering if anyone could tanslate that into actual temps before cooling? I think the cooler is between 20-24,000lbs GVW and its about 9"x11". thanks

2. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

I run a cooler and temp guage on another vehicle of mine. At highway speeds the temps stay around 150. When wheeling in hot weather the temps sometimes reaches close to 200 on long technically difficult uphills. Even with the AC on the temp never went above 210. The sender is mounted in an aftermarket deep pan. IMHO, the return line is the correct place to install the sender if the pan is out of the question.

Ron

3. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I put my sender in the line coming FROM the transmission to cooler. It takes probally 30 mins to get the tranny even up to 140. then it will stay around 150, unless it is stop and go, then I see 180ish. Highway it goes to 150, unless there is a hill and the tranny comes out of lockup, then it shoots right up to 200 or 210 depending on how big the hill is, but when the converter locks up again, it shoots right back to 150-160 in a matter of a few seconds. Hope this helps.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a>