Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trans/Tranny Swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheGeneral, Aug 8, 2001.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Situation: 78 K20 Sub 350/TH400/203
    89 K5 350 (TBI)/700R/241
    Want to swamp the 400/203 into the K5, and put the 700/241 in Sub, so sub is running while putting in doubler into K5. Have, or will have all parts for doubler. Just want to know, if anything to look out for when doing the swap. Going to start tomorrow. Is it just disconnecting shafts, cables, levers, then unbolting transmission from engine, then swapping the two. I know I will have to look at linkage and kickdown cable and such, but never have removed a transmission from engine. I have a trans jack (2 of them). I need to get this done by Mon., as K5 is going for some body work. Any advice appreciated.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Different output shafts on your transfer cases! Other bolt patterns should be the same. Not a rough job, really. Don't forget the 700R4 uses a TV cable in place of a vaccuum operated modulator on the 400. You'll need to make sure there's a way to connect it to the throttleshaft.

Edit: Length might be an issue, too. I know the 700 is longer than the 400, but I don't know if the 203 is longer than the 208 to compensate for that.

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Your ad here**<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by newyorkin on 08/08/01 07:11 PM.</FONT></P>

3. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

See top

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

4. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

As far as removing the tranny from the motor goes, there are 6 or 8 bolts theat hold the bell housing to the motor, and three bolts that secure the flywheel to the torque converter, thats pretty much it except for kick down cables, etc.
    Also, look at your crossmembers, they are probably different.