Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transfer case 203 vs. 205

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mean77, Apr 4, 2002.

1. mean77

mean77 Registered Member

I have a automatic 350 tranny and a 203 transfer case that just shot on me. Would it be wise to get a 205 instead of a 203? If so what modifications do I have to make to my driveshafts? Do I need to a get a different adapter? Is all of this worth the work and money or should I stick with a 203? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

You'd have to get a new adapter and driveshafts or you might be able to lengthen/shorten your old ones. You might also want to get some new manual hubs, otherwise your front driveshaft will always be spinning. I'd just stick with the 203 and convert it to part time if you want unless you can find a really good deal on a 205 and adapter.

3. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

After shredding the chain on 2- 203's, It was worth it to go to a 205. But thats just me.
    On my 75 I had to shorten the front and lenghten the rear, when i bought it i got lucky that it came out of a 73 blazer with a th350 tranni, so the cost total was about $200. for the whole thing..
    Hope that helps..

TJ...

4. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I would say it depends on how hard you drive your truck. I wouldn't go to the trouble to put in a 205 unless you give your truck alot of hell like I do mine. I know alot of guys who have not had any trouble out of their 203's.