Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Transfer Case Blues....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kevcarr59, Nov 16, 2004.

1. kevcarr59

kevcarr59 Registered Member

Pulled the front axle and driveshaft out of my '78 K5 last summer because of bad CV joint and stub shaft in steering knuckle bearing screwed it up. Been runnin' with the Tcase in Hloc. Today was the first time I pulled the shift lever from Hloc and was going to go to Lloc. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

NOTHING... Dead in the water.. The Tcase lever feels like it's working, can feel different stops as you move the lever. Trannys OK, plenty fluid, linkage works.. Transmission sounds like it is changing gears when going from N to Drive or reverse. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Could it be not going back into Hloc again?? Don't think the shift levers are out of alignment but won't be able to check until next few days. What else could it be?? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

What else should I check?? I can't beleive that luck I've had with this thing the last few months. Any help...

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

have you tried puttin a little grunt behind it? In my old 77 the 203 used to get a little pissy, and you had to pull or push it really hard to actually get it in hi loc or lo loc. If you just shifted it normally it would not grab/stay.

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

are you try it with out that little zig zag thing that goes at the bottom of the shifter of the floorboard?? that might be your problem /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    are you try it with out that little zig zag thing that goes at the bottom of the shifter of the floorboard?? that might be your problem /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong, but it sounds like he has a 203, so no zig zag... it's straight forward and back.

5. kevcarr59

My only other thought was to get the truck rolling down the street and see if the case would engage Hloc with it moving. Gotta fix it soon... Momma's getin' pissed having to take me to work at 3 in the morning.. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

6. kevcarr59

350/TH350/203.. No zig zag...Been floodin' here the last couple days and won't be able to check till weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif