Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

transfer case clearance

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nonesuch, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I am running a th350 and np208 and i cant stand the clearance of the 208. So what can I do to increase clearance? Will a 203 or 205 offer more clearance? I want less of my t-case hanging below my frame.
    Justin

2. bherring

bherring Registered Member

It looks like maybe you could rotate it. Anyone done this?

3. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

I have done it and I know of others too. It is not really hard to do. You have at least to drop the case and then make one of the boltholes in the adapter "longer or wider" by mabe 1/2" because the distance of two holes is not the same as the others.
    Confusing? I mean five holes will bolt right up but not the sixth.

4. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Skyjacker has an indexing ring for lowering the NP241 on the Dodge Ram trucks when a lift is installed. Looked real easy to make to clock the t-case up. Just have a ring cut out of 1" steel plate that's more or less the same pattern as the adapter. Use the adapter for a guide & drill the holes to bolt the ring to the tcase. Then; rotate it the number of degrees you want to clock the case & then drill the pattern again only this time; you tap threads into the ring. Then; you bolt the t-case back up threading the mounting bolts to bolt the t-case & ring to the adapter. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

If I didn't have such extreme angles on my front driveshaft now; I might do that. If I decide to lower my engine mount & level out the engine/tranny/t-case; I will be doing it. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Good Luck

5. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

if you end up trying something...let me know. i would love to get more tc clearance and i could meet up with you somewhere.

6. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Does anybody have any pics of this?

7. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I am going to figure something out. I got tired as hell draging my t-case over everything I crawled over this past weekend. When I had the tranny out last week, I didnt see a solution but I also wasnt really thinking about it. Now its bugging the pee out of me, its all i can think about!
    Justin

8. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

i will look into this. I only have four bolts on my adapter. I am not sure if this will work with my setup! Were you running a 700r4/208 combo?
    Justin

9. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

Oh yea I have 400/208 but I meant the six bolts that keep the adapter to the case, not the bolts from the adapter to the auto. Or is it different on 700/208? A friend of mine did this on a 86 Blazer and it worked. It turns the case 1/6 of a turn up and it gets just about flat.

10. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

take some pics!!!

11. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

Not able to. Damn I just have to get a digital camera!!